Sign in to follow this  

Uhhh.... oops

So I went to pull my bike in the garage today and it was getting stuck on something.... I jerked it back and saw a bolt fall on the ground. I had just bought a set of S wheels with a sprocket on them. turns out all but two of the sprocket bolts were missing the nuts and I didn't notice. I've been driving around on two bolts for who knows how long and one of those just broke out. Hoping my local dealer has them in stock so I can still go ride on Sunday, if not I can put my supermoto wheels on and keep it on the street.

Thinking of getting a new sprocket too... What sprocket is recommended for 90% dirt 10 percent street while keeping the stock chain of the SM. I assumed that The wheel had the stock S sprocket on it with 44 teeth but now knowing it was half assed put on and with how little torque it has, I'm thinking they swapped it out when they set them aside. I was considering a 47 tooth but now i'm not sure If I even know how the 44 is since I don't think It is. I will count the teeth tomorrow after work. Will the 47 tooth and 44 tooth both work with my stock chain?

EDIT: Just to put in perspective how little torque I have, my stock SM speedo is reading 65 mph when I can't go any faster. The motor is whining out, it just can't push any faster. 5th gear has no extra speed to it, I have to get to speed in 4th and then 5th struggles to keep it. It is pretty much bogging down at full throttle in 5th

Edited by MoreBassXD

I had a desire to remove the sprocket from my rear wheel today while doing a tire change....

God help me.  I had to quit under the doctors oath of "do no further harm"

The 12 mm keeper nuts were unbearably tight and I quit after rounding one of them.

I shot the allen head side with my electric impact on setting "3"  (apx 90 NM) and they did not move either!!

WTF?

What you guys know about this?!?! 

Sorry about the (sort of) thread jack

That would probably be the threadlocker that they put on the bolts sometimes. I had the same experience trying to change it out last year and when I finally got out of them out, it was covered in red loctite! All you have to do is heat the bolts up with something like a propane torch, once I did that to each bolt they easily come out. Especially if you are using an electric impact..

Check this out, this is how I did it. Took me approx. a minute and a half with my dab torch for each bolt, hard part was getting the angle right so that I didn't send the heat into anything but the bolts.
  • Like 2

That would probably be the threadlocker that they put on the bolts sometimes. I had the same experience trying to change it out last year and when I finally got out of them out, it was covered in red loctite! All you have to do is heat the bolts up with something like a propane torch, once I did that to each bolt they easily come out. Especially if you are using an electric impact..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9zFgB8lTNM

Check this out, this is how I did it. Took me approx. a minute and a half with my dab torch for each bolt, hard part was getting the angle right so that I didn't send the heat into anything but the bolts.

Pretty much every rotor or sprocket screws will be loctited and will need heat to remove them.