Sign in to follow this  

Newbie on a YZ250

Hello all! I'm new to the forum, and to dirt bikes as well actually. I've wanted one ever since I can remember, but my parents could never afford to buy my brother and I bikes. My dad rode motorcycles all throughout his life, and I'd always beg him to take me with him to the local cycle shops when he went so I could sit on the dirt bikes as a kid. I grew up in the '90s and consequently I love everything about the '90s! Especially all the crazy colors and graphics of the dirt bikes from that era!

Now that I'm older, I decided I'm not waiting any longer. (still can't really afford a bike, but I decided to buy one anyway lol) I started looking for an affordable bike from my favorite era. I had kinda given up after watching Craigslist for quite a while with no luck though. A few days after I had stopped looking I stubbled across a local Facebook swap shop ad for a bike that I liked the second I saw it! I had to have it!!!

A few messages, and a quick trip to town later I'm now the proud owner of my first bike! A fairly clean 1990 YZ 250!!!

received_1254227951257887.jpegreceived_1254227764591239.jpegreceived_1254227937924555.jpegreceived_1254227711257911.jpeg

Edited by AustinFitz
  • Like 1

Don't be convinced it's too much bike. I too love bikes from the 90s. I started in the dirt with a 1997 wr250 and also have a 1993 yz250. It's a great feeling to finally get one and ride. Be safe, enjoy what you are doing, and make some sweet 2 stroke music.

These are my bikes

1453459356806.jpg

1453459373916.jpg

Yeah I'm slowly going through it mechanically. My plan is to restore it back to a presentable, well maintained bike. I don't think it's too much bike for me though. I've ridden several trail orientated 4 stroke dirt bikes, and some really fast 4 stroke race quads before. I've just never been on a 2 stroke MX bike, and never personally owned any recreational vehicles before this. I have plenty of respect for the bike though, and have a good understanding of the 2 stroke MX bike powerband. It scares the crap out of me, but in a good way that makes me smile and chuckle out loud! The only other 2 stroke I had been on before this was a tired old Yamaha RT100. That thing felt like a VW compared to this YZ250 which feels like a Ferrari! Also, I'm only about 5'10" and 125lbs which makes this 250 REALLY fun!

Those are some awesome bikes Bricktop72! I love that YZ. Think I've seen in on Facebook and commented on it.

I'll mostly just be doing open trail and field riding for now. I live in southeastern Louisiana, so it's pretty flat around me. I'm not really into trying technical trails on a MX 250 yet anyway lol. I may try to get into a little racing once I get more comfortable on the bike though.

Edited by AustinFitz
  • Like 1