Sign in to follow this  

Bike won't start in the cold

It's -8C here and I rode my bike into work. After being parked on the street for 8 hours I couldn't get it to start. It was close but wouldn't kick over. The more I tried, the less success I was having. Eventually I pushed it up some stairs and into my work's entrance indoors to see if it would heat up. Waited about an hour and the starter seemed to keep getting weaker. By the end I think I zapped the juice out of my battery. It's now sitting downtown parked on the street overnight. It's always started in temperatures close to this range - but I've never left it that long without being started. My garage at home is warm. So should I tow it to my house and let it get its core temperature back or does this have to go straight to the shop for a new battery? Starter?? Both???

When it's -8c your oil is getting cold and this doesn't help your crank to turn easily too also your battery is getting weak in cold weather too

Charge your battery and try to keep your bike worm and you won't have problems

I used to have this problem on my old 150F. Cold weather is hard on batteries. I'd get a battery tender if you don't have one, and maybe uprade your battery, could get a lighter and more powerful battery at the same time. Get two birds stoned at once. 👍

I've also always used synthetic oil on my bikes and cars as it can get pretty cold here in the winter and I've been told synthetic flows better when it's really cold and doesn't get sludgy like regular oil.

• Like 1

Depending on how old your battery is ... it may be safe to just upgrade it ...  👍   My battery just won't die and I have never had it on a charger. I should try to start mine this weekend just to see what happens ... 🤣

Also if you are do for an oil change that can make it turn over slow. But really your bike should being firing right up in those temps as that is not that cold ....  👎  I have started mine before in 0 or below temps and down here we use Fahrenheit .... :goofy:   

gnath9 what type of battery do you run?   I live in Kansas and previously Illinois were the temperatures in my garage are typically below 0 F.  If my batteries are not on the tender then I will certainly be buying new batteries in the spring.  Seems like I have purchased at least one new battery every year running 3 bikes.

Apart from upgrading the battery, what type of oil do you have in it? Use an oil with a "W" rating (winter) i.e. 10W-40, a 5W-40 will be slightly easier to start in freezing conditions (thinner when cold), the 2nd value is the viscosity when engine is hot.

You could also consider using synthetic oil.

Edited by <Ian Nicoll/>

gnath9 what type of battery do you run?   I live in Kansas and previously Illinois were the temperatures in my garage are typically below 0 F.  If my batteries are not on the tender then I will certainly be buying new batteries in the spring.  Seems like I have purchased at least one new battery every year running 3 bikes.

I am still on the stock battery and I bought my bike way back at the end of October 2012 ....  👍

I run 10W-40 synthetic and it starts just fine at 0* (we are still on the superior standard system so that's about -18 below in the funky metric system). Still on the original 3 year old battery.

• Like 1

I run 10W-40 synthetic and it starts just fine at 0* (we are still on the superior standard system so that's about -18 below in the funky metric system). Still on the original 3 year old battery.

I sell Ford parts for a living and batteries are just weird. Some batteries seem to last for years and years while another of the same battery can shell out in less than two ....  :shocked:

Sounds to me like we both got good Honda batteries ....  :cheers:

got the battery charging here at work – buddy brought a tender over. I'm guessing I need a new battery? Bike is a 2013 with 38,000km on it – maybe it's time?? Never had issues with it in the cold – it wasn't exactly happy, but it still started and worked.

• Like 1

got the battery charging here at work – buddy brought a tender over. I'm guessing I need a new battery? Bike is a 2013 with 38,000km on it – maybe it's time?? Never had issues with it in the cold – it wasn't exactly happy, but it still started and worked.

I will be shocked if mine starts this weekend .... I have not started it in a long time and has never once been on a tender ...  🤦  I'm trying to kill it so I can justify an upgrade ... 🤣

hey guys, we've found out that G-Man's got a stock part still!!!! haha, sounds like not for long though. 

• Like 3

crack the throttle open just a bit.

This is all I have to do to.

Starts at -20 but have to play with throttle while starting

• Like 1

calling for 75-80*f (24-27*c) here next week weekend!

I hate you, no really, I hate you....no man I don't hate you, I'm really jealous of you, no really I am jealous, no I'm not jealous, I envy you, no really I envy you,.......did I mention I don't hate you, but you do suck, don't get sunburned now. Have fun... 👍   and come on spring..... 😢

• Like 2

plugged the battery in to my buddy's tender for a few hours and she started right away. He left it with me for the weekend so I can fully charge it. Question is: do I need a new battery? If it failed me in the cold to begin with then it seems I'm just charging a crummy battery. No? I don't want to charge it up and think I'm golden because it fires up in my garage and then end up stranding the bike downtown overnight again. Thoughts?  

• Like 1

plugged the battery in to my buddy's tender for a few hours and she started right away. He left it with me for the weekend so I can fully charge it. Question is: do I need a new battery? If it failed me in the cold to begin with then it seems I'm just charging a crummy battery. No? I don't want to charge it up and think I'm golden because it fires up in my garage and then end up stranding the bike downtown overnight again. Thoughts?  

The odds are that under the exact sames conditions it will happen again and when temps drop that is when you know you need a new battery and you could try to get thru the winter then the odds are it will make it thru the summer. 

I would use this as an opportunity to upgrade to a 8 cell anti gravity battery ... 👍  drop some weight while adding a lot more power.  

• Like 1