Sign in to follow this  

Can I use Radiator Fan on IMS Tank

Hi Guys

I am just about to order a IMS tank for my 2013 SXF 450, can you guys tell me am I better with the stock KTM EXC tank or the IMS tank and will both of them allow me to use a radiator electric fan on the bike. I am converting my bike to a XC and want the bigger tank.

Also is it easy to install the electric fan on my bike is it a direct fit?

Thanks again guys for all you help.

Edited by ozibimmer

IMS tank will not fit the KTM hardparts or new Trail Tech digital fans (direct bolt on to KTM kit).  For an IMS tank you have to build your own setup using slimline computer fans.

KTM/Trail Tech kits fit with any stock KTM, Clockwork, Clarke, or Acerbis tank.  Not sure of RV Aqualine tanks, but I would guess that they will without issue.

Older KTM kits require splicing into a radiator hose for the temp sensor.  Newer KTM/Trail Tech digital fan kits have a sensor that slips in between the radiator fins and you can set the temp that it comes on at.  Both should just hook directly to the battery.  

I have an older KTM Hardparts kit (with the sensor in the radiator hose) and have had no issues.  I have a Trail Tech GPS with the blade sensor (same as the digital fan kit) and although it is a lot easier install, it is not very accurate (at least for my application).  It reads a lot cooler than the actual temperature of my fluid.  No harm, no foul, but if I was to use that sensor to determine when my fan was to kick on I would first let my bike start to boil over and check the temperature on the gauge and then set it just a little below that point.  I don't feel it is accurate, but it is consistent/repeatable so as long as someone is aware of that (or had a better installation experience than I had) it is no problem.  In my situation, my fluid boils at 250 degrees (same fluid used in my other bikes with the temp sensor inline to a rad hose and reading on the GPS), but the TT digital readout on my Voyager states that temp as 195 or so.