Sign in to follow this  

Crf450r or 450x

Wich is better to get? I would trail ride but I do like ramping some don't have tracks near me and I am 5'6" 115 pounds I only been riding a 92 cr125 but I want something so I can keep up with others

Edited by TroyboySonic

have you considered a 250R/X? based on your size/weight you're going to look like a ribbon on a fan if you twist the throttle back on a 450.  unless you plan on growing into it. 

Yeah I'd say go for a 250 r or x.Coming off a 125 that 450 is gonna be a lotta bike to hold onto. I'm about 5'9" and weigh about 160 and I am way faster on my 125 or even a 250f than I am on my 450. You also have to think about how heavy a 450 is gonna be than your 125. If you buy a 250 f and gear it to your needs you should be much happier than the 450. Do you do much wipe open/ dirt road type riding?

Edited by Gplyley222

Yeah I had the same problem keeping up on dirt roads and stuff, that's why I got my 06 crf 450r but to be honest I have WAY more fun riding a 125 or 250f. I also had a 05 rmz 250 that I rode more than my 450 it's just so much more enjoyable. Not trying to tell you not to get a 450 or anything just figured I would give you my thoughts from past experiences. If it were me I would probably go for the 250r and gear it more towards top speed

If your looking to get a bike with some more power and it still be really reliable look at a 250 and if you don't want to mess with the valves often try finding a bike that has had ss valves put it they last a lot longer

You can buy complete heads for around 600 if I remember correct. I bought one last year for my 450 from ape racing. It would cost about the same to have an old head reworked and ss valves put In along with the springs and such. Plus if you just buy the whole new head you always have your old one to redo or if it is still good you could even sell it.

I never rode a crf250, but is that really much difference than a CR125 2 stroke?

I'd say buy a 03-07 CR250 and smoke everyone.  Much lighter and easier to handle for your size but still plenty of power.  There's plenty of topics in the 2 stroke forum to help gear it for your riding.

I wouldn't be afraid of being able to handle a 450r, but it will tire you based on your size.  Even though the honda's are light, it is still a heavy bike compared to 2 strokes.

The 450x is more reliable and is a great trail bike, but it is frickin heavy. At your size and weight id reccomend a cr250 if ur looking for more power. The crf250 is also good, but heavier and less fun than the cr250.

what???  were concerned about MPG on these bikes now?

you wanna save $30 worth of fuel over a period of 5 years but have to deal with $1500 top end rebuilds on a 4 stroke?  ok then..

Edited by cdf450

what??? were concerned about MPG on these bikes now?

you wanna save $30 worth of fuel over a period of 5 years but have to deal with $1500 top end rebuilds on a 4 stroke? ok then..

Don't think he's worried about long term costs of fuel. I've gone on many long rides and the first bikes to run out of gas are always 2 strokes,even if your near a gas station you still have to have the oil and mix it.

If i get a 250 then have someone put ss values on how much would that cost?

Its about $400-$550 to get it rebuilt depending on what all need done.  check out fastheads for pricing, the do a great job.

How old are you?

• Like 1