Sign in to follow this  

2006 CRF250R Glowing Exhaust

Complete rebuild all new bearings and seals in cases, Hot Rod Crank, Cylinder Works 1mm big bore kit, Stage 1 Hot Cam, FMF Mega Bomb with stock dual exhaust and went with the 04-05 smaller 37mm Carburetor.  Jetting is now 45 Pilot,( was a 40 then a 42), stock needle on 4th position from top, 162 main and 55 leak jet with 2 turns out on Tusk Air fuel screw.  Sea level and 70 degrees here in South Florida. The glow starts to dissipate when short blips of  throttle is applied but once warm bright glow will not stop and I shut it down. Any thoughts or do I just keep going up on the pilot? Any suggestions are helpful, also hope it is ok to post here and not in technical section.

I assume you are talking about the glow coming form the header pipe (not the exhaust)- the glow is normal. If you are too lean you will know it when you get "popping" / backfire upon deceleration. If not then your jetting should be ok. Also look at your plug , if it is white, then another indication your jetting is too lean. 

Agreed and thanks for the prompt reply and yes I still have a popping upon declleration. I will try a 50 pilot and 165 on the main an leave the needle in the stock position. A special thanks to the post about the vacuum plate being upside down mine was and is now knock side down. I will reply as soon as I get the results and thanks again.

Agreed and thanks for the prompt reply and yes I still have a popping upon declleration. I will try a 50 pilot and 165 on the main an leave the needle in the stock position. A special thanks to the post about the vacuum plate being upside down mine was and is now knock side down. I will reply as soon as I get the results and thanks again.

A small exhaust leak will cause popping too.

A small exhaust leak will cause popping too.

i would suggest checking exhaust before more carb mods.   ive got a 45 pilot with 165 main and no pop on decel.  i have not had exhaust lined up perfectly and got a little decel pop.

Red on stand in idle is common, and especially noticeable when dusk / dark out.  when you blip throttle and it goes away, you are ok.  if its red all the time even when riding you are way too lean.

Thanks for the response and suggestions. Exhaust, gasket, hex bolts are new aligned and tight. I re-seated the Tusk pilot jet screw to verify position and yes

Its possible for the pilot to cause popping when its too rich, its hard to explain but it sounds different than lean or exhaust leak popping. However most times Ive had this issue it was the exhaust at the joint between the header and the silencer.

You mention chaning the pilot twice already, did it do the same with each size jet? Have you done the procedure to determine if the pilot size is correct or are you changing them to chase the glowing and popping issues?

Edited by CRFRida1605

45 pilot and three turns out just keeps glowing head pipe in check. The slotted crimp connection between megabomb and stock y-pipe sealed with header wrap and clamp. Not enough turns left on pilot to test pilot size as suggested if richening mixture until it stumbles is the method you are referring too. Please advise.

The popping decreased as the pilot increased and head pipe glow subsided. With the addition of the header wrap and no poping at throttle chop.