Sign in to follow this  

Protective gear for trail riders

Several of you here have ridden more hours and miles than I will ever be able to do.  I'm sure you have figured out what works well, and what doesn't, for riding gear.

So much of what's available seems targeted to the MX racer.

Do any of you have any suggestions about what you like that might be different from what a MX racer would choose?

All day comfort is a consideration.  No going back to the pits between motos for gear changes!

I'm hoping, for instance, that the $500 boots aren't necessary.  I know that a busted foot / ankle will cost a lot more than that, though.

$500 boots aren't necessary.  I've never worn $500 boots, unless I have a bunch of cash laying around they would not be a consideration. I'm pretty sure a Mercedes Benz is better in crashes than my Hyundai Accent, But im not running out to buy an MB.

I wear protective gear that I can reasonably afford, and still allows me to participate in things I enjoy. I started riding when I was 9, Dad said wear a helmet, and I did along with Jeans tennis shoes and a t-shirt. 

My gear consists of:

Gaerne GX 1 - under $200

Fly Patrol pants $50

High Velocity gear Juggernaut body armor - like new on ebay $35

SS 2500 dual sport helmet - $145 ( I don't care for this, looking at a Bell MX-9)

gloves - $25 - usually mechanix impact gloves, currently looking for something better on the road

for under $500 -I feel protected for what I ride, I will be adding knee protection asap, and considering neck protection as well.

What I ride: back roads, dirt and pavement, Allegheny forest trails

• Like 1

Top tier gear is good for people who really rack up hours on the bike. The premium fit, function and durability is worth it to some people. If I were riding 3x+ a week I would invest in top dollar gear...That being said I run mid grade protective and it has done very well for me. Comfortable for all day on the bike and doesn't break the bank

Fox Comp 5 boots with running shoe insoles - $200 

Fly F2 helmet - I think I got this for $150 on closeout a few years ago

Fox Titan sleeveless armor - $100

Pants, jersey, gloves, get stuff on closeout, last years e/t/c

I also wear soft pads on knee/elblow, its better than no protection at all

• Like 1

get something that supports your knees. i blew my right knee out on my first ride! 

the new 2016 evs option elbow pads are $20 and better than ANYTHING else out there.

gaerne sg10's can be had at affordable prices now.

at minimum get a dot rated helmet. at slower speeds a snell rating can work against you. look into the lower tier kali protectives helmets.

a basic leatt chestprotector will work, fit well and last you a long time. its also adjustable.

i dont wear goggles because they all SUCK. get yourself a set of high quality clear antifog safety glasses. i use the gateway conquerer. THEE best imo.

mechanic gloves will protect you hands better and last 10x longer than any $100 pair of motorcycle gloves will.

pants and jerseys are the least of importance.

• Like 1