Sign in to follow this  

Going through my new 525 EXC

Hey guys, I just bought a 2007 525 EXC with about 180 hours and 5000 miles on it.  He said he never opened the engine, and never went through the carburetor. He is the original owner -- bought it off the showroom floor in 2007.  He said he mostly did fast fire road riding. He also said he did the 200 mile SoCal Big Bear Run on it, so he definitely did do some technical stuff.

What is a good indication of the condition of the engine? It doesn't smoke. I planned on changing the oil, both filters, and cleaning the oil screen. What else should I do? This is my first KTM. Stoked about it!

post-435025-0-82290500-1453357754.jpg

A leak down test will show if/where there is wear in the top end. The bottom end will be fine. The intake valves were a weak point on the 07's. 

Check how many turns of adjustment are left on the intake valves.  When it gets less than 1.5-2 turns it is time to replace the valves.

My experience:

Top ends (rings, piston) last about 300 hours

Stock valves will need frequent adjustment (every 15 hrs. max)

YMMV

I did a valve job/top end rebuild at 300 hours/6500 miles.  I had the stock valves replaced with Kibblewhites.  I haven't needed to adjust them since (720 hrs./15K miles).  Bottom end was still good at the last rebuild (600 hours).