Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Electrical Problem, Weak Spark

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

I have a 1987 XR600r that currently has a weak spark. I took it to a shop to diagnose the problem and they told me to get a new CDI box. I replaced the CDI and still have a weak spark. I am not completely sure where to go from here since I don't have much experience messing with electrical systems. Can some one point me in the right direction?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, quick question if the exciter coil is showing 280 ohms (standard is 230 - 320 ohms) could the stator still be bad? I'm trying to understand the relationship between everything right now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes... The stator is behind the left side cover on the engine.  On an XL there are three separate windings on the stator one for the headlight, one for the charging system, and one for the ignition.  I believe an XR will only have one for the lighting and one for the ignition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 1988 xr600r and I have been dealing with the same problem since I bought the bike. I would check the resistance on the pulse generator first, cause it's a lot cheaper than a stator. In a perfect world you could just order everything new and throw all the old stuff into a spare parts box. Well, good luck in your adventures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

XR sparks aren't  fat blue ones, like most other bikes, which can make you wonder if you're not used to them.

      What is you bike doing wrong to make you check the spark?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can hold spark plug in my hand and it only bites a little, but still enough to start like it should. A problem I had recently was under the tank where pulse generator plugs into wire harness, the small brass male spades were so worn they would not make a good contact. Cut plugs off and hardwired it, no more intermittent spark!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can hold spark plug in my hand and it only bites a little, but still enough to start like it should. A problem I had recently was under the tank where pulse generator plugs into wire harness, the small brass male spades were so worn they would not make a good contact. Cut plugs off and hardwired it, no more intermittent spark!

Cool name! But you wont catch me holding my plug!  :naughty:  :eek:  :crazy:  😏 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...