Sign in to follow this  

Tool to dissassemble DRZ400S fork

OK..I've searched various places and haven't found any information on making a tool to dissassemble the DRZ forks. I need to remove the bottom piece but it keeps turning internally. I need a long pipe with some sort of end to keep the cartridge from turning but don't know what end it needs to have.

If you have an impact wrench you can try holding the internals with your hand while loosing the screw. It seems to work for most people.

Edited by ptgarcia
  • Like 1

Yup...an impact will usually break the nut loose without a special tool...helps to do it before taking the spring out. 

I put the axle in, held the axle down with the inside of my knee / draped the leg over kinda and compressed the fork (to try to put pressure on and therewith and increase the resistance of the internal stuff towards rotation) ... and mashed on it with an electric impact.

Based on prior attempts, I'm fairly sure it can be done with a manual hammer-operated impact driver if need be.

If you can afford an impact driver AT ALL, I'd strongly advise you get one. Opens up a whole new world.

In other words, save the money a special tool would cost and put it towards an impact driver.

I have a home made tool - A hex nut welded on the end of a tube.  The hex measures 1.040". I do not recall if it is a 1 1/16" hex or 27mm hex but you get the idea.

As said above, the impact works and I have not used the tool for years.

OK this may seem like a silly question, but can I use a 27 mm socket and enlarge the center to allow the cartridge to fit through..or is a a 27mm male fitting (like a big allen) with a hole drilled through the center????

just wanted to make sure...now I've just got to find something that will work. I have an impact gun but it's crap...

Edited by One Less Harley

OK..I've searched various places and haven't found any information on making a tool to dissassemble the DRZ forks. I need to remove the bottom piece but it keeps turning internally. I need a long pipe with some sort of end to keep the cartridge from turning but don't know what end it needs to have.

27mm is exactly 1.062 or 1 and 1/16th HEX

A 5/8-11 COUPLING NUT has a 1 and 1/16th hex and is available a most hardware/big box stores.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#hex-nuts/=10svjxk

You'll need an extension long enough to reach into the fork leg.

I put the ratchet on the floor with the 27mm socket, coupling nut, and long extension facing up, put the inverted fork tube over the nut/socket until it engages the fork slider, stand on the ratchet, and loosen the bolt at the bottom of the fork tube.

Edited by Kenstone

Extension needs to be a hollow tube to go over the damper rod.

Extension needs to be a hollow tube to go over the damper rod.

oops!

I've worked on too many different bikes, and was thinking of another model.  :o

At least the coupling nut could be used to build a hollow tube tool. :thinking:

👍

Edit: Another method is to loosen the bottom bolt after removing the wheel, while the fork tube assemblies are on the bike, with the springs and fork caps still installed.

Edited by Kenstone

I too need to (and will some day) buy the proper tool. This is my 'redneck tool' LOL, but it has, does, and will work. 2 Home Depot paint stir sticks, fits right in there. 1 will actully work but 2 is better.

• Like 1

I too need to (and will some day) buy the proper tool. This is my 'redneck tool' LOL, but it has, does, and will work. 2 Home Depot paint stir sticks, fits right in there. 1 will actully work but 2 is better.

1453661241802.jpg

• Like 1

So that's how we'll do it. 👍
  • Like 1