GNCC/Hare Scrambles/NECXC

This is about fuel consumption. I'm just curious on how often people refuel during the race. I've raced 5 GNCCs in 250C (17-21) which are 2hr races and then 3 NECXCs in C class (16-23) which are 3hrs. I run stock tank sizes on my bikes and refuel on every lap on races with 8 miles or more bc I'm worried I'll run out of fuel. Always safe then sorry I guess, but I've tried guessing how much I've used and whether or not I could do 2 10 mile laps on a 2 gallon tank. I understand there are a lot of factors but just looking for guesstimates. So if you guys could tell me your bike size, tank size, and when you guys refuel. I'd appreciate it. Skipping a refuel a lap would save somewhere around 2 minutes for me

Unless you have carb issues and are leaking large amounts of fuel out of the overflow drain (float height set wrong, worn float valve, etc...), you should be able to get 30 miles out of a stock MX tank on a 250 2-stroke and probably 40 on a 250F.  Also, no offense, but as a C rider, you're probably not on the gas that hard.  I'm an A rider in enduros and when I do the occasional 2 hour local harescamble on my KTM 250SX with a 3.1 gallon IMS tank I can go the whole 2 hours without re-fueling.  I haven't raced a GNCC since 08, but in 07 I raced 6 of them on my 05 KTM 300EXC with a 3.4 gallon Clarke tank in the Open B class and I would fuel after 2 laps, then go the rest of the way, which was 3 or 4 more laps depending on if it was a 6 or 7 lap race for the Pros (usually would get lapped towards the end of the 2nd hour and get 1 less than the big dogs)

• Like 2

Well there's no problem with either of the bikes. 2006 RM-250 and a 2009 RM-Z250. I was just curious bc I'm going to wait a bit this year before I get the IMS tank for the RM. Going to buy some other mods first. Oversized front rotor, galfer brake line, engine rebuild, boyesen rad valve, fmf gnarly, and fmf shorty. All at once so I'll only have to jet it once lol. Got 184 out of 726 in the Ironman last year. To give you an idea. I'm pretty sure after your statement that I could safely go 2 laps bc the tank is a 2.11g and with the IMS(3.4g) I could go 3 easy on. Just never wanted to chance it.

Look at your lap time online, fill your tank. Go ride at race pace for that amount of time. Then either drain tank and measure the amount of fuel left or fill the tank while measuring him much you put it. Easy 30 miles. You do not need to put every lap, once on a two hour race.

Got 184 out of 726 in the Ironman last year.

Ahh, the Ironman. I have fond memories of that race. Only ran it once, back in 06. Pulled the holeshot in Open C and lead wire to wire. Finished 45th Overall in the morning race that day. That race is why I moved to Open B the next year.

• Like 1

Even though Powerline is my home trac, the Ironman is easily my favorite. I work all the time, so I can only hit a couple races a year. Always in the fall. Trying my darndest this year to race everything within a 6 hour drive.

I hate Powerline.  '07 race really pissed me off.  They had the trail crossing one of those damn Jeep/4x4 trails and didn't have a mud bog marked properly.  Nothing like dropping the front into a 4' deep shit hole with the throttle pinned.  Covered head to toe in swamp water and the bike totally drowned out with a bottom end full off that crap.  It took me half an hour to get the bike running and I limped it back the the truck with the bottom end squealing like Ned Beaty in Deliverance.

You ever try a National Enduro?   There's one in Zanesville last weekend of August this year ?  I might know a little bit about it, seeing as how I'm one of the main trail cutters lol.  We'll be out tomorrow finishing up the rough layout of the A loop.

Edited by CBus660R
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated. Gonna wing it this year to see how it goes. Powerline is a shit hole indeed. Always so many darned mud holes. Even when it hasn't rained in 2 weeks. Dusty as hell up on the hill, but there's always some hole that makes you believe your going to flood the bike. That the engine is gonna suck up all kinds of crazy till ding ding ding you need a new piston. Then there's f#@%heads that throw beer bottles in the track hoping you get flat tires. Definitely interested in enduros. Been wanting to do something a little different. I imagine it's a bit more technical than a GNCC.

Enduros are a little bit more technical, but nothing too crazy. You want to challenge the riders, but not to the point where you create bottlenecks that stop the flow and ruins the race for someone because a rider from 3 rows in front couldn't clear an obstacle. When we lay out a course, we try to keep it on flowing single track with some quad trail and jeep trails mixed in here and there to open thjngs up a bit.

That's pretty cool actually. I was looking into the ECEA series, but looked at some helmet cams and it didn't seem very technical..

It certainly isn't going to be 1st gear extreme stuff, but definitely tighter than a GNCC. Back in 07, my plans were to chase points in GNCC and the local enduro series. I enjoyed the enduros much more and have focused on them since. When you jump from the morning race to the afternoon race in GNCCs, it really changes the fun factor in a negative way. You may feel differently than me, but I loved GNCCs when I was in the C class racing for 2 hours then hanging out and watching the Pros, but once I was racing for 3 hours on a beat up course and realizing I couldn't get by with a 3 year old bike and mostly stock suspension, it lost the fun factor.

It certainly isn't going to be 1st gear extreme stuff, but definitely tighter than a GNCC. Back in 07, my plans were to chase points in GNCC and the local enduro series. I enjoyed the enduros much more and have focused on them since. When you jump from the morning race to the afternoon race in GNCCs, it really changes the fun factor in a negative way. You may feel differently than me, but I loved GNCCs when I was in the C class racing for 2 hours then hanging out and watching the Pros, but once I was racing for 3 hours on a beat up course and realizing I couldn't get by with a 3 year old bike and mostly stock suspension, it lost the fun factor.

Is that race in Zanesville a closed course? I'm not sure if I will hate going to the afternoon races or not, but I'm willing to at least give it a try. My suspension is stock besides a few turns of a screw and setting my Sag from Factory Connection. It made a huge difference. I need a rebuild, so I'm just going to get it revalved and resprung for my weight and non-professional riding style (ha ha).

I raced several rounds of the VCHSS in Virginia the last two years, went into it thinking about fueling needs, then did one race and realized that was the last thing on my list. I'm a mid-C rider and would have at least enough gas for another full lap or more. All except one race where I made the cutoff for an extra lap by a hair. I'm on a 125, and the courses are very tight so I was rarely on the pipe for more than a second.

• Like 1