Sign in to follow this  

California Ortega Trail Online leaderboard, Strava

Dear fellow hardcore enduro enthusiasts, Ortega Trail is now on Strava!

Strava is an app that records your route using GPS and allows riders to compare times, log progress, and creates "segments" for other riders to compete on. 

1. Download the app (its free)
2. Bring a friend to scout ahead to make sure the trail is clear
3. Compete for the title "King of the Mountain"!

Here is the link:

https://www.strava.com/segments/11233901

Do you know of any other good Strava routes? Post them below.

Edited by Garett0439

To receive a time simply press "record" on the app and ride the trail. Zoom in on the map to see the start and finish. You time automatically starts at the bottom(south end of trail) about 20 feet in. Time automatically stops just before the metal/rock squeeze where Ortega Trail turns into Cherry Creek.

When finished (timing does not matter, it only times you between the start/finish) stop and save the segment and when you get back in cell service it should sync to Strava and you will be able to see your time.

So what's the current fastest time from the pavement up to the picnic table?  The rest is fire road and basically boring.  I hear things around the 20 minute mark or something, which seems reasonable.  I remember I was doing 23 flat from the car around the corner from the start, to the peak by the picnic table (maybe another minute of climbing and road riding) when it was in super overgrown condition.  I'm curious again what I could manage in clear conditions.

This "Ronnie Mac" dude on the leaderboard must not have much else to do if he's riding 3 back to back laps on there haha.

I love using Strava for my rides where there might be shared segments with MTB'ers.  They get all pissed when their KOM's get stolen.  Another fun thing to do is learn which sections are recorded for MTB use, and go juuuust fast enough up them to make the time seem realistic, but still faster.

They really just need to establish a moto section for it.

• Like 1

Motorcycle racing on Ortega, which is a multiple use trail????  Common sense should tell you this is a REALLY BAD IDEA.  

• Like 1

GPS will get service anywhere.  You don't need Wi-Fi or 4G to use it.  It'll work fine.

Ortega may be a multi-use trail, but in the dozens of laps I've done on it, I think I've seen a hiker up there....once.  This is far less of an issue than with mtb's.  You can hear a dirt bike coming about a mile away.  Timing yourself is absolutely harmless.  It's not like there exists a will or a way for two bikes to race up Ortega trail side by side...

• Like 1

Similar, but he doesn't ride enough to hold on and go 100% all the way through. His damn bike is always thrashed.

If you're worried about safety, you should also be reminded that it's basically a shooting range at the trail entrance, AND the exit. Additionally, Ortega is a marked OHV trail. Not exactly the same as "multi use".

If you're worried about safety, you should also be reminded that it's basically a shooting range at the trail entrance, AND the exit. Additionally, Ortega is a marked OHV trail. Not exactly the same as "multi use".

very true I ran into two hunters up by cherry creek kinda startled me when I came around a corner and they were in the middle of the trail

So what's the current fastest time from the pavement up to the picnic table?  The rest is fire road and basically boring.  I hear things around the 20 minute mark or something, which seems reasonable.  I remember I was doing 23 flat from the car around the corner from the start, to the peak by the picnic table (maybe another minute of climbing and road riding) when it was in super overgrown condition.  I'm curious again what I could manage in clear conditions.

This "Ronnie Mac" dude on the leaderboard must not have much else to do if he's riding 3 back to back laps on there haha.

I love using Strava for my rides where there might be shared segments with MTB'ers.  They get all pissed when their KOM's get stolen.  Another fun thing to do is learn which sections are recorded for MTB use, and go juuuust fast enough up them to make the time seem realistic, but still faster.

They really just need to establish a moto section for it.

Agreed about the Strava moto section. I believe they are working on it. 

I believe the best times to the picnic table are in the 19's. We debated making the route to the picnic table, the climb right after it up to 5300 ft is getting real nasty, too good to pass up. 

Regarding the comments about safety: Head on collisions are a real hazard on this trail, the biggest hazard if you ask me. Take a friend and have them leave a few minutes ahead of you. If they see anyone, they stop until you reach them. 

Strava isn't racing. If it was hundreds of thousands of cyclist could be arrested for street racing. 

We are simply riding safe and smart while tracking our progress through GPS.

In fact, the more we use it the easier it will be to see what days and times the trail gets crowded on.

We ( Ojai Valley Dirt Riders) are going to be putting a flip sign up on the trail as well so riders will always know when someone else is already on the trail.

Haha I knew I was right.. Trail nazis everywhere. Come on down to the Ie. Got some fire a$$ loops down here. We can time it in rever and share it with everyone while saying FTW and the BLm

If there are no trucks at the bottom, I usually open it up a bit.  I also usually ride it during the week after work in the summer when it's totally empty.  Once I get a helmet light I want to start doing night runs up there soon though.

Usually dual sports coming down from the top aren't going to be hauling ass.  For that matter, most people don't really try to haul ass going down it.  Really needs to be a segment going the other way too for those who actually DO like going fast downhill - picnic table to pavement.

Motorcycle racing on Ortega, which is a multiple use trail????  Common sense should tell you this is a REALLY BAD IDEA.  

And....you're an idiot.

Garett do you know either of the guys on the list?

Cameron may or may not be my dad, and as for Ronnie Mac that may or may not be his real name.

GHILL28

For simplicity sake, I think we should just have one single public Ortega segment.

One thing cool about Strava is you can make as many private segments as you want. If you make a downhill segment, let me know your Strava name and I will add you and you can share it with me. We are making a private segment, just to the picnic table, as well.

Cameron may or may not be my dad, and as for Ronnie Mac that may or may not be his real name.

I'll take that a yes. Lol I wanted to hit Ortega today, but that's not gonna happen. More than likely going to ballinger tomorrow.