Sign in to follow this  

Fuel for crf450 mx

How much fuel do you go out on the track with?

How much does the average 15-20 min session use?

Last year I filled bike up at home and rode all day, this year I want to save some weight and only put in what I really need.

Fill you tank ride your moto length then see how much it takes to fill it back up (just say a gallon for reference) drain your tank then put a little over a gallon back in to be safe or how ever much it takes to do your moto

wow is 4 ozs really gonna increase your lap times?

skip lunch or shave youre legs if its such a big deal.

Better to have to much than to run out just short of the finish line. This has happen so many times across many different motor sports.

I just do practice days. If I can shave off 6 lbs then I might as well try. Sorry for asking. Being it's a 4 stroke it seems to do pretty good on fuel.

Report back and let us know how much of a difference that 6lbs makes on your lap times. And then tell us how bad it sucked when you ran out of fuel because you miscalculated.

• Like 1

The amount of fuel you burn is determined by how hard you ride, length of the race, your jetting/EFI tune, any mods to the engine, etc...It's impossible to say how much fuel you will burn.

Either fill the tank, ride, measure how much fuel it takes to fill it back up - or don't worry about it, and just fill the tank.

since i ride my bike everywhere EVERYWHERE

it has a 2.7 gallon tank instead of the stock 1.5

filling the 2.7 gallon tank brimming full............ 

there is  a noticeable change in handling especially on the infamous 09

so when i go to the track i don't top it off

1-1.5 gallons is plenty for me..... but i'm no mx pro.......

wow is 4 ozs really gonna increase your lap times?

skip lunch or shave youre legs if its such a big deal.

canadian metric eh?

or canadian super light fuel? 

in murika a gallon is 6.3lbs

or in your language .71kg per liter

I suggest filling it.

If track conditions change you could use quite a bit more or less.

Local guy thought he had enough to do a few more laps.

Now he has a shattered ankle.

Not worth it imo.

I fill it whether its practice or a race.

It's easy to loose track of time/laps.

Have had races red flagged also. Last thing I would want to worry about is if I have enough fuel.

More fuel also weighs the bike differently. Fuel tank up the front, more weight on the front = easier to nose dive off jumps. No point carrying more fuel than you need if it affects handling.

• Like 1

This topic is absolutely ridiculous!! If you are good enough to notice a difference in a half gallon of fuel in your tank you probably have the ability to make the main at the next Supercross race. Oh wait....those guys start with full tanks just so they have enough fuel to get through a 20 lap race. I wonder if they notice a change in handling over the course of their race? Doubt it

• Like 4

This topic is absolutely ridiculous!! If you are good enough to notice a difference in a half gallon of fuel in your tank you probably have the ability to make the main at the next Supercross race. Oh wait....those guys start with full tanks just so they have enough fuel to get through a 20 lap race. I wonder if they notice a change in handling over the course of their race? Doubt it

have you ever ridden a bike with a topped off desert tank?

have you ever ridden a bike with a topped off desert tank?

A 5-6 gallon tank is a little different than running a half gallon low on fuel as a C-level motocross guy. A desert tank is completely irrelevant to this topic.

And yes I have ridden a bike with 6 gallons of fuel on board and I did notice the extra fuel. I also have a 2.7 gal. tank on my bike and I can't tell any difference in handling from when it's full to nearly empty at the end of a 3 hour GNCC race.

A 5-6 gallon tank is a little different than running a half gallon low on fuel as a C-level motocross guy. A desert tank is completely irrelevant to this topic.

And yes I have ridden a bike with 6 gallons of fuel on board and I did notice the extra fuel. I also have a 2.7 gal. tank on my bike and I can't tell any difference in handling from when it's full to nearly empty at the end of a 3 hour GNCC race.

What year?

I just do practice days. If I can shave off 6 lbs then I might as well try. Sorry for asking. Being it's a 4 stroke it seems to do pretty good on fuel.

If you're not racing, why do you care about it? I doubt you'd feel a difference.