Sign in to follow this  

Removing swing arm seals

Swingarm seals??? Thought it was just bearings. Are you removing the swingarm? If yes then go for it, no seals to deal with.

Edited by Debi

Swingarm seals??? Thought it was just bearings. Are you removing the swingarm? If yes then go for it, no seals to deal with.

there are rubber seals over the bearings that i want to pull out and grease bearings and grease around the seals and re-install them.

i got under one with a small screw driver and the seal got damaged and i had to order new ones.

If you look at the parts breakdown for the swingarm you will see what i mean. 

nicko

there are rubber seals over the bearings that i want to pull out and grease bearings and grease around the seals and re-install them.

i got under one with a small screw driver and the seal got damaged and i had to order new ones.

If you look at the parts breakdown for the swingarm you will see what i mean. 

nicko

I use a plastic pick to remove them for re greasing. I did the same when  I used a metal pick, it damaged the seal.

Why bother taking them out to grease ? I just take fresh grease on my finger and smear it in the holes and work it into the bearings.You can pack it in behind the seal also . If I want to clean better I run parts cleaner through them to dissolve old gunk using a round nylon bristle brush, blow out to get rid of any cleaner then regrease with finger (usually pinky to fit inside the bearing). the reinstall on bike and enjoy. You'll do more damage trying to pull them then not taking them out to begin with.

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

Why bother taking them out to grease ? I just take fresh grease on my finger and smear it in the holes and work it into the bearings.You can pack it in behind the seal also . If I want to clean better I run parts cleaner through them to dissolve old gunk using a round nylon bristle brush, blow out to get rid of any cleaner then regrease with finger (usually pinky to fit inside the bearing). the reinstall on bike and enjoy. You'll do more damage trying to pull them then not taking them out to begin with.

thanks 

thats what I'm going to do.

nicko