Sign in to follow this  

86 xl600r jetting

Hey guys just rebuilt the entire top end valves, new oem piston rings and hone. Also have a supertrap with 14 disks. Running stock jets 62 118 115.

Thinkinking about changing to 65 120 118 and desnorkling. Ive read many threads and keep getting inconsistent answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thump on!

Wow, your 86 still has a snorkel? Most of the bikes I run across lost that years ago.

Pull the snorkel and add a UNI air filter then do just the main jets. I'm guessing your pilot circuit is probably fine as is.

For the main jets, order a handful so you can experiment. Maybe a couple120's and a couple122's. It just takes a little playing around and trying different combinations to get it right.

• Like 2

If you search this site and Google search in general you will find some good cheap jetting upgrades that will help the bike greatly I shimmed my slide needles and that made a huge difference I can't remember exactly what it is but if you find the threads I'm referring to it will tell you everything you need to know

Edited by cbr1000rrsteven

I go from 900ft of elevation to 6000ft where I live and I'm running 115-118 main jets with stock pilot. Desnorkeled and running a super trapp with 1st over piston. Runs perfect

• Like 1

Ok guys i pulled the snorkel, have the uni high flow filter installed, and i just changed the jets. Where do i go from here as far as the air screw goes??? Really dont want to burn my bike up

Heres the left side carb and a shot of the airbox with the snorkel removed

Is the mixture screw behind the vent hose in that picture or is underneath towards the front of the carb?

I am trying to determine if your carbs have an air screw or fuel screw so I can give you proper tuning procedure.

Ok, turn the fuel screw in all the way until it seats lightly. Now back it out 2 turns.

Start the bike as you normally would and let it warm up. Once warm, use the idle speed adjustment screw to set the idle to ~1200 rpm.

Now with the bike running, turn the fuel screw in or or out (counting number of turns) until you hear the engine reach the highest idle rpm. Once you find the setting with the highest idle rpm, write down the number of turns out the screw is at (you will forget if you're like me). Now turn the fuel screw out just a bit so the engine speed drops by about 100 rpm, you now have the appropriate idle mixture for your pilot jet.

Next, use the idle adjustment screw to set the idle speed back to ~1200rpm.

If after this process your fuel screw is between 1 and 3 turns out, your pilot jet is the right size. However, if it is less than one turn out or more than 3 turns out, you need a different size pilot jet.

Completed the snorkel removal and jetting/ tuning. It runs so much better I love it! Spark plug looks great too got her just right. Thanks for the advice everyone!

• Like 1

Yes it has the stock stator, but it hasn't failed me in the past year I've been riding it. I've looked into a Ricky stator but I'll go that route when the time comes. Now I'm waiting on my custom oil cooler from my buddy mark to arrive from Arizona. Great guy great product! The last thing I'd like to do is get some 17" rims for a sumo set up. I have an extra set of front and rear hubs. Ideally I'd like to lace the up to a 4.25 in the rear and 3.5 in the front.

Ya mine failed on my 86 on the highway just died. That was my first Honda 600 ever since I always upgrade right away because they are known to fail. I now currently ride ride my 87 XR600 very far distance in the middle of nowhere in the Sierra Nevada Mountains last thing I need is it to just Die on me for something I could have prevented also everytime I've upgrade all 3 bikes have started easier and ran overall much better just a thought

• Like 1