Sign in to follow this  

Pros/cons for crossfit training?

Just curious who on here uses crossfit as a training element? We have a local crossfit gym in town and it's been around for a few years so I'm sure it's a good gym. But for someone training during the off season and I guess even during the season is that type of workout beneficial for someone who races? I'm really considering setting up a membership but would like some input.

• Like 1

I'm no fitness expert at all, but my opinion is that if you want to get fit it's going to take time and dedication. I see so many people getting hurt from crossfit because it's really not that great. You'll get results as long as you don't hurt yourself haha...

I think crossfit might be good for someone who is already very fit..

Just my opinion from what I've seen and heard about it though.

• Like 1

I am 56, been doing Crossfit for almost 3 years.  If you are smart with Crossfit and scale your workouts, then the lack of injury is greatly reduced.  The people that I seen getting hurt are usually doing more weight than they should and that is where the injuries are coming from.  

I'm 30, been doing Crossfit for almost 4 years now. Its the best workout I've ever done. I love it because of the overall aspect of fitness it covers. When I ride the only thing that ever really gets sore is my forearms. I don't get into some of the huge weights and complex movements like some of the other guys do there, but then again they don't ride MX either. If you watch weight you use and practice perfect form then you should be injury free. the only time I hurt myself was doing kettle bell swings with a weight I KNEW was to heavy but I went or it anyways, sprained back and three weeks out of the gym...lesson learned. Price is another issue for most, my gym is 95$ a month, some others are as much as 250$. I highly recommend it.

I think crossfit is a bad move for any beginner in fitness. It's composed of highly complicated Olympic, and modified Olympic lifts done for way to many reps(Olympic lifts are typically done in 2-5 rep range). Also correct and safe form almost always takes a back seat to speed(most crossfit wods are "for time"), because of our competitive nature. They even teach you to do pull ups, in a way that's compromising to your back. I have been a gym rat since college, and I've tried a lot of different plans(even tried crossfit for a month or so). Off the top of my head I'd recommend "Kris Gethin 4 week DTP training" it's a cardio intensive, high volume muscle gaining program(same principle as crossfit kind of). But there is no race against the clock, or extreme unsafe Olympic lifts . Also it's free, and includes a nutrition overview, and macro calculator to tell you how to properly fuel your recovery. Which is more than you get from most crossfit "boxes".

I think crossfit is a bad move for any beginner in fitness. It's composed of highly complicated Olympic, and modified Olympic lifts done for way to many reps(Olympic lifts are typically done in 2-5 rep range). Also correct and safe form almost always takes a back seat to speed(most crossfit wods are "for time"), because of our competitive nature. They even teach you to do pull ups, in a way that's compromising to your back. I have been a gym rat since college, and I've tried a lot of different plans(even tried crossfit for a month or so). Off the top of my head I'd recommend "Kris Gethin 4 week DTP training" it's a cardio intensive, high volume muscle gaining program(same principle as crossfit kind of). But there is no race against the clock, or extreme unsafe Olympic lifts . Also it's free, and includes a nutrition overview, and macro calculator to tell you how to properly fuel your recovery. Which is more than you get from most crossfit "boxes".

Do you think olympic lifts are dangerous?

Olympic lifts are absolutely dangerous unless you learn good form. Or have previous experience completing Olympic lifts with form as the emphasis. My biggest problem with CF is that it's in the coaches best interest to get as many "athletes" in every class. Regardless of skill level or past experience. I know this is not true of all CF coaches but the vetting process for becoming a licensed CF coach is laughable, and for a lot of them it's just a way to capitalize on a currently trending fitness fad. The workouts themselves are for the most part great(other than the kipping pull up). But you can't put that many people of differing fitness backgrounds, undeclared injuries, and imbalances into the same sweaty ass room, and not expect further injury, and imbalance.

If you check your ego at the door, focus on form, crossfit is an excellent cross training method. A lot also depends on your box and the coaches. I would say CF is no more dangerous than any other weight lifting routine. Just use common sense.  

• Like 1

Olympic lifts are absolutely dangerous unless you learn good form. Or have previous experience completing Olympic lifts with form as the emphasis. My biggest problem with CF is that it's in the coaches best interest to get as many "athletes" in every class. Regardless of skill level or past experience. I know this is not true of all CF coaches but the vetting process for becoming a licensed CF coach is laughable, and for a lot of them it's just a way to capitalize on a currently trending fitness fad. The workouts themselves are for the most part great(other than the kipping pull up). But you can't put that many people of differing fitness backgrounds, undeclared injuries, and imbalances into the same sweaty ass room, and not expect further injury, and imbalance.

My point is, every lift is dangerous without proper form. A huge number of people that I see bench, do it without proper form and have shoulder pain because they aren't retracting their scapula nor depressing their shoulders with their lats. I agree with the CF coaching issue. It's a business. However, I do know quite a few CFers at my gym that are really strong and have some awesome snatch and c&j.