Sign in to follow this  

2016 350 SX-F for trail riding? thoughts from owners

Hello, like to hear how the 2016 suspension is on the 350 SX-F

Edited by AceMaker

Suspension unrideable out of the box for me. You will need suspension work.

At 150lbs (170lbs w/ gear), the bike was too stiff, causing it to vibrate badly. Other than the vibrations, it was not bad like everyone states. Way better than all my previous bikes stock suspension.

I did however go with lighter springs and ended up just having the suspension revalved and am more than please.

I ride desert and technical single track.

At 150lbs (170lbs w/ gear), the bike was too stiff, causing it to vibrate badly. Other than the vibrations, it was not bad like everyone states. Way better than all my previous bikes stock suspension.

I did however go with lighter springs and ended up just having the suspension revalved and am more than please.

I ride desert and technical single track.

You need to ride more bikes... The 350sxf has atrocious stock suspension...

I have 5 bikes in the garage at the moment, owned a total of 12 bikes over the years and have been riding dirt bikes for 23 years. I know a thing or two about how to ride and suspension, so I don't buy into the forum hype ;-)

Man I couldn't even ride for more than 20 minutes before I was at my suspension shop. Monk and I are heavier than you it it was still brutally stiff.

I have 5 bikes in the garage at the moment, owned a total of 12 bikes over the years and have been riding dirt bikes for 23 years. I know a thing or two about how to ride and suspension, so I don't buy into the forum hype ;-)

Crazy that after 23yrs of riding and 12 bikes, you would say this:

"I have never ridden a Yamaha or any bike in general with the SSS forks"

The best you've ridden is the best you know

The stock suspension is more than adequate for the average rider with a simple spring change to accommodate rider weight. For those of us whom are faster, more technical riders, we will revalve the suspension for our particular riding style regardless of bike owned, even Yamaha owners.

Is the 2016 KTM stock suspension great? NO! Will the average rider be happy? YES!

*edit* post froze and deleted everything I wrote and I'm not going to re

The stock suspension is more than adequate for the average rider with a simple spring change to accommodate rider weight. For those of us whom are faster, more technical riders, we will revalve the suspension for our particular riding style regardless of bike owned, even Yamaha owners.

Is the 2016 KTM stock suspension great? NO! Will the average rider be happy? YES!

*edit* post froze and deleted everything I wrote and I'm not going to re

No, the suspension is not adequate for average riders. Pretty sad you drop $10k on a bike and the thing only works up to 50% of it's potential. Like buying a new truck and the A/C don't work. Sure, it still drives but it kinda sucks that its hot as balls in the cab during the middle of summer. Just roll down the window, it'll be fine for the average guy...

Thanks for all your input guys...I'm 190 lbs plus gear. We were just debating whether to get the XCF instead but bought SXF's yesterday. Bought 2016's since new from ground up. Figured $1600 savings wasn't worth it buy a 3 year old design. brother and I have been riding since we were 10 and have 40 years riding experience. We usually get the suspension done anyway once we shake down the bikes

If your bike leaks around the starter box, shifter shaft area it's the 4mm allen bolt on the side of the box. Take it out let clean it all, let it dry, and put some blue Loctite in there and its good to go.

Edited by Jaslater

If your a good ride you will love the sx, the transmission is better than xc or w.

Get correct springs , and a good revalve and you will love it. Look to ProTune.susp.

For me I do xc tank and a 18 inch rear hoop.

• Like 3

Having your suspension done after receiving your bike is by far the most important aftermarket upgrade you could do, above all else. I had by MX suspension done last year on my 450 SX-F when I first got it, unbelievable was the improvement in control, balance, and ride-ability once it was all dialed in. I recently converted the bike to ride in the desert, and once again, best money spent was on the suspension.

Crazy that after 23yrs of riding and 12 bikes, you would say this:

"I have never ridden a Yamaha or any bike in general with the SSS forks"

The best you've ridden is the best you know

I rode a 2007 yz250 for 2 years and I never got what the hype was all about with the SSS.  For desert riding and trail riding at moderate speeds I think the OP would be happiest with an xc-w.

The XC-F is well worth the extra money if you ride off-road. The 6-speed transmission makes the bike much more versatile; the larger tank, battery, 18" rear wheel, stronger wheel sets, side stand, HD tubes and off-road suspension valving all add up to an outstanding package and it's still great for moto too. 

Hello,

I'm quite torn and could use some solid advice.  I really like the new '16 350 XC-F and I'm considering trading in my '12 350 SX-F for one.  With all the below aftermarket upgrades I've done to my bike (see below) is the '16 XC-F that much better?  I'm 50 years young (B/C rider) and ride mostly SOCAL desert and some occasional MX tracks.  Any advice would be much appreciated!

• Rekluse 2.0 (installed last year)
  • FLEXX Bars
  • SCOTTS Stabilizer
  • BRP Rubber Sub-Mount
  • Cycra Pro Bend Handguards
  • G2 Ergonomics Throttle Cam System (installed last month)
  • KTM open ended grips (installed last month)
  • KTM Wave Seat SX/XC 11-14 (installed last month)
  • Pro Moto Billet Kick-it kickstand
  • Hyde Racing skid plates
  • Enduro Engineering rear disc brake guard
  • Unabiker Radiator guards
  • Acerbis front disc brake guard
  • Fastway larger foot pegs
  • Trail Tech Voyager GPS device with engine temp sensor
  • Suspension revalved last year by Race Tech. Had gold valves installed too.  For 190lb rider.
  • New CV4 2.0 radiator cap
  • New Dirt Tricks sprockets, Countershaft Dome Washer and Regina Z-ring Chain combo (installed last month)
  • Shorai lithium ion battery

The bike is super clean and has ’13 plastics on it (installed about a year ago).  If I do decide to pull the trigger on the new '16, what ballpark sales or trade-in prices should I be asking for the '12 (given the installed upgrades)?  BTW, it is in need of some new shoes.  Thanks!

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Hello,

I'm quite torn and could use some solid advice. I really like the new '16 350 XC-F and I'm considering trading in my '12 350 SX-F for one. With all the below aftermarket upgrades I've done to my bike (see below) is the '16 XC-F that much better? I'm 50 years young (B/C rider) and ride mostly SOCAL desert and some occasional MX tracks. Any advice would be much appreciated!

• Rekluse 2.0 (installed last year)
  • FLEXX Bars
  • SCOTTS Stabilizer
  • BRP Rubber Sub-Mount
  • Cycra Pro Bend Handguards
  • G2 Ergonomics Throttle Cam System (installed last month)
  • KTM open ended grips (installed last month)
  • KTM Wave Seat SX/XC 11-14 (installed last month)
  • Pro Moto Billet Kick-it kickstand
  • Hyde Racing skid plates
  • Enduro Engineering rear disc brake guard
  • Unabiker Radiator guards
  • Acerbis front disc brake guard
  • Fastway larger foot pegs
  • Trail Tech Voyager GPS device with engine temp sensor
  • Suspension revalved last year by Race Tech. Had gold valves installed too. For 190lb rider.
  • New CV4 2.0 radiator cap
  • New Dirt Tricks sprockets, Countershaft Dome Washer and Regina Z-ring Chain combo (installed last month)
  • Shorai lithium ion battery
The bike is super clean and has ’13 plastics on it (installed about a year ago). If I do decide to pull the trigger on the new '16, what ballpark sales or trade-in prices should I be asking for the '12 (given the installed upgrades)? BTW, it is in need of some new shoes. Thanks!

You are 3 generations of 350 behind, the 16 will be that much better...

Thanks Monk. That's what I figured. Any idea what I can expect to get for trade-in value on it? Is $4,400 a reasonable expectation?

Not in my neck of the woods (BC Canada). Closer to $3800-4k. Used bikes aren't worth much, especially a 350 that has changed so much in only 4yrs...