Sign in to follow this  

Too much valve clearance?

Hello out there.  New here and new to bikes.

This is probably a dumb question.  I just checked and adjusted valve clearance on my 2010 KX250F.  All were in spec except the left intake valve.  it was .063mm.  Specified clearance is .10-.15mm.  Did all the math and came up with minimum shim size of 2.813 and max of 2.863.  I used a 2.80 from a hot cams kit.  New clearance was just over spec.  I put it back together happy that everything went back like it should.  In hind sight, I'm wishing I'd have used a 2.85 shim.  So I guess the question is, is too much valve clearance bad?  Or should I just tear it open again and get it right.

Thanks.

Hello out there.  New here and new to bikes.

This is probably a dumb question.  I just checked and adjusted valve clearance on my 2010 KX250F.  All were in spec except the left intake valve.  it was .063mm.  Specified clearance is .10-.15mm.  Did all the math and came up with minimum shim size of 2.813 and max of 2.863.  I used a 2.80 from a hot cams kit.  New clearance was just over spec.  I put it back together happy that everything went back like it should.  In hind sight, I'm wishing I'd have used a 2.85 shim.  So I guess the question is, is too much valve clearance bad?  Or should I just tear it open again and get it right.

Thanks.

What size shim did you pull out of the bike?

I don't think that tiny bit of extra will hurt. If it's not noisy, I would leave it.

However, I've done the same thing and after a week changed to a "perfect" shim to be safe. That was when I first bought the bike. Good practice. But again, I would probably leave it now.

You will be fine.. the valve should tighten up a bit any how after it is run a little bit. check it again in a few hours if you feel the need to but it is not to far out at all. it will just be at the high end of the spec range. 

with a .15 feeler gauge, your looking for a slight drag....  unless the feeler gauge is sloppy and slides right in, then definitely go to the 2.85 

Ok, cracked it back open. Slight drag with the .15. All other valves still in spec. Going to call it good. Will call it a successful first try if she fires up.

Thanks for the help.

• Like 2