Sign in to follow this  

Yz 80 questions. Please help!

I am strongly considering purchasing a 2001 yz 80. I would really appreciate answers to a few of my questions!

Background: I am 5-6 and 140 lbs. I am a fairly inexperienced rider. I will mostly be cruising around logging roads, with some occasional mellow trails.

1) is the 33.6 seat height too short? I often ride for 2+ hrs.

2) if i am riding like I described, how frequently will I have to rebuild top end? Bottom end? Clutch? I am committed to maintnence but not sure what I am in for since this is my first 2 stroke mx bike.

Thanks!

That bike is too small if it's your only bike. They're fun as a pit bike, but there a kids mx bike. You are further ahead to buy a 125 and put a flywheel weight on until you get comfortable on it.

That bike is too small if it's your only bike. They're fun as a pit bike, but there a kids mx bike. You are further ahead to buy a 125 and put a flywheel weight on until you get comfortable on it.

Thanks for the response and advice! I also have a wr 250f, so a yz 80 would be my second. Do you think I would be comfortable taking the yz 80 on a 20 mile ride, or is it just too small?

A few friends about your size borrowed my wife's Suzuki 80 to come on longer rides and had a blast. They kept up just fine, but when I switched and put them on my bike (I'm 210-220lbs) I couldn't even make the hills with any speed. If you ride tight single track, it sometimes gives you an advantage, if you ride open hilly trails, it's not the best choice.

A few friends about your size borrowed my wife's Suzuki 80 to come on longer rides and had a blast. They kept up just fine, but when I switched and put them on my bike (I'm 210-220lbs) I couldn't even make the hills with any speed. If you ride tight single track, it sometimes gives you an advantage, if you ride open hilly trails, it's not the best choice.

That is super helpful, thank you!

I am hopefully buying a 2001 yz 80 tommorow. I have never owned a 2 stroke mx bike before. Regarding the engine, what are some things to look out/listen for? Are there obvious signs the bike is trashed?

Unless the owner can produce documented maintenance records, figure unless it's in pristine condition,

a 15 year old 2-stroke race engine will very likey require a complete overhaul sooner or later.

Difficult enough to tell by a familiar mechanic if a 2-stroke engine is mechanical sound just by hearing it run,

unless you perform a compression and leakdown test, appart from very apparent knocking / vibration

there is little to tell the general condition of engine internals from the outside.

The first sign of neglected maintenance is the air filter, if it's missing, torn, or is caked with crud....walk away.

(look for a torn/damaged rubber air inlet boot, the intake boot (reed) as well, any tear or hole will let debris into the engine)

Also a super high or hanging idle could be an indication of a possible air leak.  (if severe enough could lead to an engine seizure if not fixed)

If the owner revs the piss out of it the moment it starts from a dead cold engine, also sign he is clueless about 2T engine care.

Idealy bring someone along who is more familiar with 2T engines.

Edited by mlatour

Touch the engine before starting it to make sure he didn't warm it up before you got there.

It could have taken him a long time to get it started from cold.

A good engine should start within a few kicks by someone who knows how.

Unless the owner can produce documented maintenance records, figure unless it's in pristine condition,

a 15 year old 2-stroke race engine will very likey require a complete overhaul sooner or later.

Difficult enough to tell by a familiar mechanic if a 2-stroke engine is mechanical sound just by hearing it run,

unless you perform a compression and leakdown test, appart from very apparent knocking / vibration

there is little to tell the general condition of engine internals from the outside.

The first sign of neglected maintenance is the air filter, if it's missing, torn, or is caked with crud....walk away.

(look for a torn/damaged rubber air inlet boot, the intake boot (reed) as well, any tear or hole will let debris into the engine)

Also a super high or hanging idle could be an indication of a possible air leak. (if severe enough could lead to an engine seizure if not fixed)

If the owner revs the piss out of it the moment it starts from a dead cold engine, also sign he is clueless about 2T engine care.

Idealy bring someone along who is more familiar with 2T engines.

Thanks for the advice, it is super helpful. I have more information for you...

The owner of the yz 80 is good about maintnence (he changes filter frequently, does frequent tranny oil changes, uses quality premix).

However, he has not replaced the cylinder or any of the bottom end parts.

He is asking 800$. After market upgrades include: pro circut exhaust, pro taper bars, triple clamp.

Assuming the bikes has no visible damage, starts easily when cold, and runs and shifts fine, does this seem like a smart purchase for the price? Or am I a crazy for considering a 15 year old small bore 2 stroke?

Tommorow I am hopefully purchasing a 2001 yz 80.

The owner was good about maintnence (frequent tranny oil changes, frequent air filter changes, quality pre mix).

The bike is in good condition, no rust or exterior damage.

After market upgrades include: pro circut exhaust, pro taper bars, triple clamp.

Unfortunately, The owner never replaced the cylinder or any bottom end parts.

The owner rode hard but never raced.

He is asking 800$.

Bike starts easy and runs fine.

MY QUESTION: Is a well maintained 15 year old 2 stroke a ticking time bomb? Or a reasonable purchase?

Looking at your profile says you are 18. Unless you are on the small side, I would look at 125's and up as the 80 will be too small.

It is a $500 bike in good condition.

Aftermarket parts add next to no value.

It has not had a barrel???? Pistons/rings?

It is five years out of manufacturers parts support.

It has had piston and ring changes, but not a new barrel. Sounds like I will have to replace the barrel? I do not want to have to split the case. Do two stroke bottom end tend to hold up?

Even if well maintained, having to split the cases on a 15 year old race engine is an eventuality, sooner or later.

Seems like a few of your threads have been combined to form a single one since I responded.

The first post here now mentions:  5'6", 'cruising around logging roads, with some occasional mellow trails',  2+hour rides

all of which pointing that a YZ80 isn't the right bike for any of those requirements.

You mention you already have a WR250F which is an excellent choice for that type of usage,

why the sudden urge to make your life more complicated with a:

light switch narrow powerband, 15 year old unfamiliar to you 2-stroke race engine,

close-ratio gearbox, small-wheeled, low seat height, limited fuel range, out-of-production parts  2001 YZ80 ?

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Haha you are asking excellent questions. Here is my thinking, which is certainly not very wise:

I have 3 four stroke trail bikes already (ttt 250, wr 250f, ttr 125). I want an mx 2T to learn more about 2T mechanics (powervalves, reeds, carbs without accel pumps and air cuts, etc) . I also want to learn how the ride with the less predictable, smaller powerband. It sounds fun!

As far as the size of the bike, I am not too worried. I have blast on the ttr 125, which is smaller than the yz 80.

For your height / weight, and since you have other bikes better suited for trail riding,

a YZ125 would be more versatile as a 'practice' bike, decent enough in most off-road conditions

but also allowing you to ride MX tracks on occasion where an 80 would be way too small for you.

Edited by mlatour