Sign in to follow this  

Go faster parts, R&D float bowl/JD Jet kit

Been running the F2 Jet kit for the last... Oooohh, 7 years (still with a 145 main per the F2 instructions).  Ran well, but a bit lean up top when it was cool.  So finally got around to a few changes I wanted to make,  R&D float bowl, and the JD Jetting Red needle, clip down 4th grove from the top and a 165 main.   I run mostly between 3,000-6,000' and summer months up to 9k (may need to drop the needle a clip in the summer).  I need to replace the 45 pilot to a 42, but could not find one local.  Ill try it like this first and see. 

IMG_3517.jpg

IMG_3518.jpg

Looks great!

I saw those power bowls and could never figure out how they would help all they claim. For $200 I didn't want to risk it. Let us know, I might just have to get one..

• Works with all KEIHIN FCR carburetors 150cc to 520cc.
  • Eliminates hesitation and bogging.
  • Provides instant response to throttle movements.
  • Starts easier.
  • Reduces hot engine stalling.
  • Improves low-end performance.
  • Bolt-on product that requires no modification.

So, the mods i have done to my carb, I do not suffer from any of those symptoms.  The biggest thing other than jetting is the Accelerator pump mod.  I shave the stop down on the diaphragm  and mod the pump spring on the actuator and the rest the pump timing.  I also do not waste my money on a JD jet kit.  I spent $18 on a needle and a few jets and it is crisp and clean.  Starts like flipping a switch.  The bowl looks cool.  Too bad you can't see it better once it is on the bike.

• Like 1

I'm a sucker for bling.

There is some merit in the deeper bowl helping with cavitation around the main jet.  Most of the trickery is in the accel pump cover, the bowl is there mostly to fit the pump.  The bowl/accel pump do away with the leak jet and it gives you an adjustable leak control, however, not sure how often I will adjust this once set.  They include a new accel pump arm spring that's much stiffer than stock, similar to adding the o-ring.  I suspect this is where most of the benefit really comes from.  The pump cover is deeper so this would be similar to trimming the stop on the diaphragm.  Im not expecting the bowl to really fix any issues I was having, its just something I wanted to do and to play with.

Mainly, I wanted to try some new jetting.  I ordered the JD Jet kit from Rocky MT ATV, they sent me the 08 KX450F kit (JDKA02) rather than the KLX-450R kit (JKDA05).  A quick call to JD and they told me the needles where the same, but the main jet ranges where not.  So they sent me a set of mains next day,  that was cool of them!  The remote idle screw will be handy.

Edited by dstewart

I also mod the stock spring to have the same affect as the aftermarket one.  Also, reset the pump timing to make it more aggressive and take out the delay.

Took it for a short ride today, much better throttle response.  Does not matter the gear or the RPM,  blip the throttle and BRAAAP!

Edited by dstewart
  • Like 1

Turns out, with the F2 needle the 45 pilot seemed too big, with the JD needle 45 is about perfect.  Did a good 45 mile ride from the high desert at 2500' into the woods up to about 6300'.  Bike ran fantastic, perfect jetting everywhere.  Never a stall, just ran great!

Not had a chance to look at my footage yet, but here is some from the guy behind me.