Sign in to follow this  

Yz125

So I am 17 years old 6 foot tall and 160lbs. My dads girl friend used to ride back in the day. And she says that a yz125 is too small of a dirt bike for me. This is my first bike and I want something that I can learn, have fun, and go fast on. From my research, I am choosing the right bike for me. Witch is trail riding and hitting the track every once in a while. I just want to know if she is wrong.

6', 160lbs fits a YZ125 well, heck it has an equal or higher seat height than a few other comparable full-sized bikes.

"back in the day" (1980's?)  older 125's had narrower powerbands, lower HP and were harder to ride fast than newer late-model ones.

If you have little or no dirtbike riding experience, I wouldn't suggest getting anything more powerful to start learning on.

Depending on the trails (rough, rocky, hillclimbs, sustained WOT fire roads),

a YZ125 may not be the best suited bike for general trail riding,

but certainly a great bike in it's designed purpose : MX tracks

Edited by mlatour

I'm 5'8" / 165lbs on a YZ125

the bike is slightly high at a standstill (have to tippy-toe a bit) but once at speed on an MX track is of no matter

(unless of course I take a tumble and have to climb back on while on an incline)

So I am 17 years old 6 foot tall and 160-165 pounds. I'm am getting a 01 yz125 next week. It is my first bike and I really can't wait. I have a little bit of experience on dirt bikes too. So my dads girlfriend thinks she knows a lot about dirt bikes because she rode back in the day (90s?). She says that I'm am to big for the yz125 and that I'm not going to have fun. I am going to be riding around with friends and hitting the track when I can. I have already made a deal with the guy I'm buying from. So my question is, is she wrong? Will the yz125 carry me with no problem? I just need someone who ACTUALLY has experience. Thanks you in advance.

I'm 16 5 foot 6 and 115 lbs, I ride a cr125 and honestly I wish it had more power. I think you would like something with more low end power than a 125 two stroke.

If you haven't given him money the deal isn't made 😉

your dad's girlfriend is wrong. I am 6'1" 190 and have owned and ridden many bikes including a 2005 YZ125.  you will be just fine size and weight wise.

I love it when girls get into bikes... Unfortunately, your dad's girlfriend is full o' crap

If you really learn to ride it, and I mean hard, you'll find the 125 quite fun, and should be able to hold your own against the bigger boys.

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur

Might need to re spring it for your weight but you will have a blast on that 125 and if you do want a little more just save up a few bucks and add a 144 kit next time you need to do a top end. Enjoy

Edited by Enduroguy