Sign in to follow this  

Xr400 clarke 3.8 to stock tank comparison

How did the new tank fit? I am on my fourth XR4 and my latest(Clarke)  was a struggle to install. Also which Wolfman bags are those? Thanks.

How did the new tank fit? I am on my fourth XR4 and my latest(Clarke) was a struggle to install. Also which Wolfman bags are those? Thanks.

the tank itself fit "ok" but the overall finish of the tank was pretty bad compared to the factory tank. So I actually sanded off all the seams and re polished the tank so you can't see any join marks on it. After doing that I'm actually really pleased with it. Plus personally I think the oversize tank looks better than the stock. The stock tank looks kind of tiny now.

That's a good look!

thanks man

How did the new tank fit? I am on my fourth XR4 and my latest(Clarke) was a struggle to install. Also which Wolfman bags are those? Thanks.

oh.... and the bags are "wolfman e12" saddle bags. And the wolfman "toolbag" what made your clarke hard to fit? Edited by NzJohny

looks good mate, your seat/tank fit looks a little off...is the seat slide into the tank keeper...

I threw my stock tank strap away (was perished) and used a cut from a bicycle innner tube to hold the tank to the frame keeper..

also i used some inner tune on the frames back bone to raise the rear of the tank...till I go to a rubber suppliers..like Clarkes here in Australia

looks good mate, your seat/tank fit looks a little off...is the seat slide into the tank keeper...

I threw my stock tank strap away (was perished) and used a cut from a bicycle innner tube to hold the tank to the frame keeper..

also i used some inner tune on the frames back bone to raise the rear of the tank...till I go to a rubber suppliers..like Clarkes here in Australia

nice! Yip your right my seat to tank is a little off. I think it's because I shaved the seat foam down. And by doing that my seat has less "meat" along the edges giving it that gap look. I'm not to short "5.11" but being a dual sport I want it to sit a bit lower Edited by NzJohny

nice! Yeah my tank strap is doing the same so for the time being I put a hole in it and ran a cable tie through it to stop it from breaking completely, but good idea I might do the same!! And Yip your right my seat to tank is a little off. I think it's because I shaved the seat foam down. And by doing that my seat has less "meat" along the edges giving it that gap look. I'm not to short "5.11" but being a dual sport I want it to sit a bit lower

oh.... and the bags are "wolfman e12" saddle bags. And the wolfman "toolbag" what made your clarke hard to fit?

Not sure why my latest Clarke fit so poorly. It was tagged as a XR4 tank but I had to muscle it to get it lined up. I really think it was for an XR250 and should have sent it back. Thanks for the bag info.  👍 

Not sure why my latest Clarke fit so poorly. It was tagged as a XR4 tank but I had to muscle it to get it lined up. I really think it was for an XR250 and should have sent it back. Thanks for the bag info. 👍

I think the 250 is ment to be the same?. What part didn't seem right? The 2 brackets at the bottom that you connect to the frame with on my tank were closer together, so when I 1st put it on I had to pull both sides of the tank in the opposite directions so that it would be wide enough to fit onto the 2 bolt holes on the bikes frame. But it was only very minor. Maybe 3mm Edited by NzJohny

I have been told the 250/400 tanks are the same and have been told they are different. ??? It has been a while since inst but it was the two mtng points on the frame that caused the issue. I don't remember if it was the width or length front to rear, sorry. But I do remember it was a struggle as compared to a previous tank that just fell into place perfectly.

IMG_1481027119.936068.jpg

Just installed a new Clarke tank myself and I'm a little worried about how close the wings are to the engine. The left side only clears the engine by about 2 mill. Should I be concerned do you think?

Wish I had a better photo, but I was a bit put off by how much of a gap was left between the tank and seat on mine. The brackets line up well enough, but I'd say there's a little less than a centimeter between the two, top to bottom. I've just been rolling with it, and haven't had real issues. Just curious if this is common or not.IMG_1481029449.310777.jpg

• Like 1

Wish I had a better photo, but I was a bit put off by how much of a gap was left between the tank and seat on mine. The brackets line up well enough, but I'd say there's a little less than a centimeter between the two, top to bottom. I've just been rolling with it, and haven't had real issues. Just curious if this is common or not.📎IMG_1481029449.310777.jpg

East fix the rubber spacer on top frame rail.That holds back of tank up. Shim it up with pieces cut from old inner tube.

East fix the rubber spacer on top frame rail.That holds back of tank up. Shim it up with pieces cut from old inner tube.

I'll give that a go, but won't it force the frame brackets to misalign?

After being on my bike for almost a year my Clarke now fits perfectly. I think my initial fit issue was caused by sitting for a while in a box and losing its shape.  After being on the bike and having some heat from the engine it seems to have "molded" itself to the mounting points. Comes on and off easily now.