Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400E Budget bush basher project bike

So a few years ago I bought an 07 DRZ400E off a mate for cheap with a compression issue, turns out it had a bent valve - it sat for a few months outside with the cylinder head off and water got in the motor /gearbox. Its been about 3 years since I bought it and has now had the head rebuilt and is running. I'm going to pick it up off the guy who rebuilt the head shortly and he did say the the clutch is either sticking or slipping and he and that he has changed the oil a few times to no avail.

If the motor runs fairly reliably then I'm going to set it up as a budget bush basher for friends to borrow when we go to our property, mainly trails and enduro style riding with up to 100kms riding in a day.

Its going to be stripped of all road going gear and anything non essential to reduce weight as a start but after that what bang for buck mods does everyone have for the 07 DRZ400E ( Aus delivered ) ?!

-So far I've heard of removing the snorkel to give the same effect as the 3x3 airbox mod

-Its a the keihin flatside so maybe a bit of rejetting at the end of mods to suit

-Guessing there is going to be some second hand cheap ebay exhausts that will save some weight over stock, is there any that will give more bottom end torque over top end power ? or just cut down the stock muffler ?!

-Weigh 90+ Kg, so don't know whether the stock forks are worthwhile modding or if RMZ forks could be bought cheaply and swapped?! Heard stockers go alright with a spring change for heavier riders and re-valve but not much gains after that

-How are the brakes on these? Cus' I've got a spare Nissin front master cylinder that i can put a CR internals into to give better braking, then braided lines and if need be

- Got fatbars and handgaurds to go on, whats the best bang for buck rad gaurds for these ? any other weak spots otherwise protection wise ?

Anything else really worth doing on these on the cheap ??? I don't mind spending a little bit of cash for decent or worthwhile gains

• Like 1

-So far I've heard of removing the snorkel to give the same effect as the 3x3 airbox mod

-Its a the keihin flatside so maybe a bit of rejetting at the end of mods to suit

-Guessing there is going to be some second hand cheap ebay exhausts that will save some weight over stock, is there any that will give more bottom end torque over top end power ? or just cut down the stock muffler ?!

-Weigh 90+ Kg, so don't know whether the stock forks are worthwhile modding or if RMZ forks could be bought cheaply and swapped?! Heard stockers go alright with a spring change for heavier riders and re-valve but not much gains after that

-How are the brakes on these? Cus' I've got a spare Nissin front master cylinder that i can put a CR internals into to give better braking, then braided lines and if need be

- Got fatbars and handgaurds to go on, whats the best bang for buck rad gaurds for these ? any other weak spots otherwise protection wise ?

Anything else really worth doing on these on the cheap ??? I don't mind spending a little bit of cash for decent or worthwhile gains

Yeah! Toss the snorkel - the 3x3 mod of hole + jetting originates from the E model which in some markets came like that from the factory.

Weight loss with muffler - maybe - depends what kind of muffler you have on there. The straight-through muffler probably isn't going to be that heavy, but the internally baffled one sure is. Maybe an after aluminium muffler is going to be lighter. The E header is going to be pretty good for torque afaik.

By all means REWORK THE SUSPENSION!!! It's fun work and you reap a ton of benefits. The suspension UNITS are good - the forks and shock - but the setup is poor. You can get very good results if you spring and revalve. For sure. Compared to anything.

Brakes are ... decent. They're OK. People like the braided lines.

I'd go with a LiFePO4 battery. I like the EarthX ones, or just 4x genuine A123 cells. Takes away a lot of weight sitting up high and far back. (Or add a kickstart and toss the battery.)

Too easy - seems TT store has some cheap case savers so that'll fit the bill !

Yeah going to overall suspension regardless if its the drz or an alternative fork, I do have a spare 01 yz250 front end that I could look into bolting on if there is gains to be had over the drz forks ?!

So picked her up today and she runs but not holding idle well. Going to flush the tank and carb, replace the plug and she how well she goes after that - might need a carby tune sooner than I thought :/ is the black dial under the choke button the idle screw on these ??

IMG_20160130_134216.jpg