Sign in to follow this  

Updated mods

I have been reading through old threads. Tons of good info, but much of it out of date. Looking for mod updates. I read through all the experimentation of foot peg, handle bar mods, etc. I was wondering what the conclusion was for an average adult. I am 200lb at 5'11 and need some space as well as better suspension. Does any company now make and sell a rearward foot peg move mod, or is this still something that has to be fabricated. Thoughts on this mod as to pros and cons. The handlebars, LOL, to much to choose from. I need someone to tell me what I need based on their experience. As far as suspension, I do not know what I need. I don't have the experience of riding lots of other bikes. LOL, I would confuse the great ride and seat from my old XR200 as being "good" rather than the proper suspension needed to ride the woods. Wish I had kept that bike and simply geared it down a little. So, Sharing your trial and error experience would be much appreciated. 

Edited by 1gr8bldr

I have been reading through old threads. Tons of good info, but much of it out of date. Looking for mod updates. I read through all the experimentation of foot peg, handle bar mods, etc. I was wondering what the conclusion was for an average adult. I am 200lb at 5'11 and need some space as well as better suspension. Does any company now make and sell a rearward foot peg move mod, or is this still something that has to be fabricated. Thoughts on this mod as to pros and cons. The handlebars, LOL, to much to choose from. I need someone to tell me what I need based on their experience. As far as suspension, I do not know what I need. I don't have the experience of riding lots of other bikes. LOL, I would confuse the great ride and seat from my old XR200 as being "good" rather than the proper suspension needed to ride the woods. Wish I had kept that bike and simply geared it down a little. So, Sharing your trial and error experience would be much appreciated. 

What type of riding are you doing?  Average distance?  Average speed?  Experience?  Level?

The two things you must address immediately, even with a bone-stock engine, are tires and suspension.  Tires?  Depends on how and where you ride.  Suspension?  Bruce Triplett for you for sure since you are in NC.

• Like 3

What type of riding are you doing?  Average distance?  Average speed?  Experience?  Level?

We started out with one xr100 for my son and then through buying broke bikes and fixing them, evolved to every family member having a bike. And then upgraded from there buying and selling. We mostly just rode fire lanes and road beds at my hunting lease in NC. Then my to my surprise, my sons youtube dirtbike channel began to pay well. LOL, I thought it was a scam at first, but it turned out to be real money. He got to 60k subscribers with no help from me. So I began to get interested in helping him to have a bigger "vision" for his site. To spur him to do more than just his usually helmet view. I told him I would help out all I could rather than just gas and pizza. So, the last month, or since deer season went out, we have been working on trails on my 850 acre hunting lease. Not sure how far the trail goes yet as far as miles, but it takes over 1 hr to ride, riding it hard with  what we have as of now. What we have so far is a basic trail that beginners could ride, but the plan is that this basic trail takes us from destination to destination, the destinations being creek crossings, hills, small jumps over turnouts, etc, with awesome views of big hardwoods, cutovers, creeks, huge rocks, waterfalls, hills, food plots, etc. This acreage should be the grounds needed for making great dirtbike videos. Much better than his earlier back yard videos. We also have spent time at a local track called dirt city. My 230 does not do so well at this ... and I am fine with that. I am 50, and to old to get hurt, but could benefit from a better suspension. We also enjoy Carolina Adventure World about twice a year, mostly just trail riding. But my main thing will be the trail riding at my hunting lease. My son is beginning to see how his 450r has limitation. He is 15, learning bigger is not always better. He also has a 250r. He has paid for his own bikes with his youtube money. I personally don't like to go fast. When I try to keep up with him on the logging roads, I feel like It is just a mater of time until one of us has a bad accident. I have ridden trails for years, LOL, but went around the obstacles. I am just learning the craft of climbing, jumping logs and hair pin turns. But my 230 has proven itself to be great for this because I have come along way

Edited by 1gr8bldr
  • Like 1

I am 49 years old so I understand.  I am in Matthews, NC so I can not be very far from you.

The CRF230F will never be a good bike for fast long open work.  Though it has ample power to go fast the steering is too fast and the wheelbase is too short for that type of work for extended periods.  I have had mine at the top of fourth gear hauling A$$ over huge erosion barriers at Uwharrie and CAW and though the engine and suspension ate it up it was quite a handful with that tiny chassis.  Way too fast for comfort!

All that being said FrickinJim has used his for MX work and has done surprisingly well with it.

The very first thing you need to do is to get your forks and shock to Bruce Triplett in Salisbury, NC.  If you have a big budget get a Fox Podium X shock from BAJA Trail Rider in here.

• Like 2

We started out with one xr100 for my son and then through buying broke bikes and fixing them, evolved to every family member having a bike. And then upgraded from there buying and selling. We mostly just rode fire lanes and road beds at my hunting lease in NC. Then my to my surprise, my sons youtube dirtbike channel began to pay well. LOL, I thought it was a scam at first, but it turned out to be real money. He got to 60k subscribers with no help from me. So I began to get interested in helping him to have a bigger "vision" for his site. To spur him to do more than just his usually helmet view. I told him I would help out all I could rather than just gas and pizza. So, the last month, or since deer season went out, we have been working on trails on my 850 acre hunting lease. Not sure how far the trail goes yet as far as miles, but it takes over 1 hr to ride, riding it hard with what we have as of now. What we have so far is a basic trail that beginners could ride, but the plan is that this basic trail takes us from destination to destination, the destinations being creek crossings, hills, small jumps over turnouts, etc, with awesome views of big hardwoods, cutovers, creeks, huge rocks, waterfalls, hills, food plots, etc. This acreage should be the grounds needed for making great dirtbike videos. Much better than his earlier back yard videos. We also have spent time at a local track called dirt city. My 230 does not do so well at this ... and I am fine with that. I am 50, and to old to get hurt, but could benefit from a better suspension. We also enjoy Carolina Adventure World about twice a year, mostly just trail riding. But my main thing will be the trail riding at my hunting lease. My son is beginning to see how his 450r has limitation. He is 15, learning bigger is not always better. He also has a 250r. He has paid for his own bikes with his youtube money. I personally don't like to go fast. When I try to keep up with him on the logging roads, I feel like It is just a mater of time until one of us has a bad accident. I have ridden trails for years, LOL, but went around the obstacles. I am just learning the craft of climbing, jumping logs and hair pin turns. But my 230 has proven itself to be great for this because I have come along way

Great family that plays together story! Thank you for sharing, good luck and keep in touch with all of us on TT.

I am 49 years old so I understand.  I am in Matthews, NC so I can not be very far from you.

The CRF230F will never be a good bike for fast long open work.  Though it has ample power to go fast the steering is too fast and the wheelbase is too short for that type of work for extended periods.  I have had mine at the top of fourth gear hauling A$$ over huge erosion barriers at Uwharrie and CAW and though the engine and suspension ate it up it was quite a handful with that tiny chassis.  Way too fast for comfort!

All that being said FrickinJim has used his for MX work and has done surprisingly well with it.

The very first thing you need to do is to get your forks and shock to Bruce Triplett in Salisbury, NC.  If you have a big budget get a Fox Podium X shock from BAJA Trail Rider in here.

I am in Monroe, work mostly in the South Charlotte area. Might have to plan a ride sometime if you promise not to get me killed

• Like 1

I am in Monroe, work mostly in the South Charlotte area. Might have to plan a ride sometime if you promise not to get me killed

Absolutely.  Have you been to Carolina Adventure World or Uwharrie National forest yet?

And if you ever need help with your carb or forks please ask.  I have carb parts here as well as BBR fork springs and extra damper rods.

In fact, I have a complete "Full Power" set of parts on the shelf.

Edited by VortecCPI

And if you ever need help with your carb or forks please ask.  I have carb parts here as well as BBR fork springs and extra damper rods.

In fact, I have a complete "Full Power" set of parts on the shelf.

I have not ever been to Uwharrie but have been to CAW several times. We usually ride the easy trails because they are less rutted by the 4 wheelers. Great place, and really like the ac break at the club house. Thanks for the offer of parts, the "full power" I assume you mean the power up kit?  I have a broad range of jets for the power up..... but I need to dbl check that they are of the same brand, after having read an older post of yours. They were not purchased all at one time, so likely, I have a mix. I rejetted my wifes 100, my sons 150, and my 230's. So I just went ahead and got one of everything, in case I might want to experiment with it . I did move my needle height, and can't recall to where. I have it in my notes, wherever they are. I say this because to say which jet worked for me only means something in regard to the needle height I used. And I did not verify float height. I plan to do it over. I had no confidence in listening for highest idle so I bought me a cheap tach that you just hold near the engine.