Sign in to follow this  

Snowed in, dreaming about my next bike.

I mainly ride single track in WV. I will sometimes ride atv trails and such. The bikes I'm torn between are the yz250x, yz250fx, KTM 250, 300 xcw, or maybe even the KTM 350.

The cons I see include:

Yz250 x: no stator for headlight, no e start, smaller tank

Yz250 fx: less power, heavier than the x, smaller tank

Ktm 250 xcw: More expensive, suspension not as good as Yamaha

Ktm 300 xcw: same as above, I also wonder if the power could be more fatiguing compared to the bikes above.

Ktm 350 xcf +- w: same as above. Runs hotter, could flame out.

The pros on any of them are endless and I'm sure I'd be happy with any of them! Please let me know your opinions, experiences, etc. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Roostercogbern31

All good choices.  Personally I don't think the Yamaha is truly a serious woods bike yet (no 6 speed, no hydraulic clutch, no e-start, etc).  I read an article where someone from Yamaha was quoted as saying this was their way of testing the waters to see if they could justify retooling to make a true woods bike.  So hopefully we'll actually see them step up in the next couple years and come out with something that can really compete with KTM and Beta.  With that being said, the Yamaha pricing is very attractive. 

Speaking of Beta...   Why aren't any of them on your list?

I grew up riding two strokes and when I just recently returned to the sport after many, many years out of it I wanted to give the 4 strokes a try.  I bought a 350 XCF-W.  I'm enjoying the 4 stroke.  I think ultimately I'll try to pick up a used KTM or Beta 2 stroke to enjoy both worlds, but things like fuel injection, super linear power, easy to ride and insane fuel economy are really nice.

No real good reason for not listing beta. However, I had a 2011 GasGas ec300r which I really liked but parts availability and company stability kept me with an uneasy feeling. Beta seems like a similar brand to have. I pretty well know KTM will be around for a while and parts availability is super convenient. Especially because a KTM dealer is 10 minutes from my house. Thanks for the info. No regrets with the 350, huh?

Beta has pretty good parts availability through the dealer and BYOB. Motosport doesn't carry beta stuff and RMATV doesn't carry everything, like spare wheels. The Yamaha will have the most parts availability, but sometimes I'm a little surprised at what isn't readily available, like a low seat assembly. Plus you have parts interchangeability over a wider range of model years. Of course, you live near a KTM dealer and I don't. The Betas will make you look like a singletrack superstar. Any of the bikes on your list are awesome bikes, but quite a bit tall for me.

Edit: Forgot to mention: the Beta EFI 350 gets awesome range out of its stock tank. I haven't ridden any other EFI enduro bike yet, though.

Edited by clappedoutkx

I mainly ride single track in WV. I will sometimes ride atv trails and such. The bikes I'm torn between are the yz250x, yz250fx, KTM 250, 300 xcw, or maybe even the KTM 350.

The cons I see include:

Yz250 x: no stator for headlight, no e start, smaller tank

Yz250 fx: less power, heavier than the x, smaller tank

Ktm 250 xcw: More expensive, suspension not as good as Yamaha

Ktm 300 xcw: same as above, I also wonder if the power could be more fatiguing compared to the bikes above.

Ktm 350 xcf +- w: same as above. Runs hotter, could flame out.

The pros on any of them are endless and I'm sure I'd be happy with any of them! Please let me know your opinions, experiences, etc. Thanks in advance!

I've also got the Beta 300RR on my list, but there's no dealer within a 8 hour drive of here. The Sherco 300 SE-R Factory also has me interested, but their Canadian market presence is weak. The closest dealer in my area is 3 hours away and is a helicopter company. &%$#@!?

That makes me lean towards a 250/300 2T KTM, but it looks like there may be a new engine and chassis for 2017 which makes me want to hold off for one more season. Heck, the 350 XC-W has me very interested too, but that will probably get a new engine and chassis for 2017 as well.

Wish I had a crystal ball. :D

Edited by NVarra

Agreed! I just saw a pic of the 2017 xcw 2t and it appears to have a different engine, starter, body, and possibly chassis. Should be interesting!!! Would be tough for me to pull the trigger on a 2016 unless it would be a good deal. Which seems to be very rare with those orange bikes lol.

True enough... It's just that every bloody time I buy something new the next year a new model cycle seems to start! Well... except my 08 YZ250. Did alright on that one.

Thanks clappedout! What I needed to hear. Would def be a frustrating thing to get caught up having to have the newest out there all the time. Nvarra, you did good on that model yz! Lol almost 10 yrs strong now!!!

Do you really need lights?  And an electric start?

For WV single track I'd get a YZ250X.  Awesome power, awesome suspension.  5 speed is fine for east coast single track.  If you need a bigger tank, get an IMS.

KTM 250/300 are much more money with much worse suspension.  

The 350 XCF will be over $10K!  And flame out (unless you do some remapping and TPS tweaking).  And 4CS forks suck.  

+1 on the 250X. I'm from Virginia and used to ride in the Shenandoah's and Burning Rock, WV and can see no reason for 6 gears, and tons of reasons for the best suspension possible.

I had a 2013 yz450 and the suspension was unbelievably good. My main reason for considering the Yamahas. May be going the 250x route, especially considering the price comparison. Thanks guys!

Edited by Roostercogbern31