Sign in to follow this  

Connecticut How hard to convert dirtbike to street legal in CT?

Hi,

I am asking this question for a friend looking for a bike for on & off road.  He might end up riding back roads(not over 45mph) to work 10 miles one way, but also ride offroad a lot.  I am trying to figure out how to help find a bike.  I think he wants a dirtbike converted to road because they are capable offroad, and could also get more use out of it due to being able to ride to the trails.  He's getting rid of an LTZ400 quad. 

A factory dual sport would be ok, but I think a dirtbike might be better suited due to being so much lighter.

My real questions:

1) Is it cheaper to buy a dual sport or buy a dirt bike convert/plate it.

2) Are some dirtbikes easier to convert than others to plate?  Are there easy kits to buy that places sell? 

PS I am asking because my buddy was looking at a 2006 Honda CRF450X supermoto'ed for $5100 from a shop(I think it's too much).  It's not made street legal yet either.  Watching craigslist is more my style to buy used vehicles.  Maybe we can watch for CRF450x's on craigslist.

Also, I did find this detailed thread on the plating process in CT https://thumpertalk.com/topic/600319-registering-an-off-road-use-only-bike-in-ct/

It's an old thread so would re-check the laws anyways.

Thanks

It's not terribly hard, just a pain in the ass and some fab skills are needed. I have plated many bikes in CT for customers and will be selling a 2013 CRF450R that's street-plated as soon as the weather is good enough to motivate me to go to dMV for the inspection.

Search Google on "CT DMV composite motorcycle" and that should lead you to all the info and requirements you'll need.

I also think it's too much. Not being street legal

Talked to him today and apparently I am wrong, that bike actually has been converted.  Not sure what it costs to convert though.

when you do the conversion to make an off road bike street legal, does the wording on the title stop you from getting it registered? 

say title says something like not for highway use.

will CT allow 2 strokes to be converted? 

Hi,

I am asking this question for a friend looking for a bike for on & off road. He might end up riding back roads(not over 45mph) to work 10 miles one way, but also ride offroad a lot. I am trying to figure out how to help find a bike. I think he wants a dirtbike converted to road because they are capable offroad, and could also get more use out of it due to being able to ride to the trails. He's getting rid of an LTZ400 quad.

A factory dual sport would be ok, but I think a dirtbike might be better suited due to being so much lighter.

My real questions:

1) Is it cheaper to buy a dual sport or buy a dirt bike convert/plate it.

2) Are some dirtbikes easier to convert than others to plate? Are there easy kits to buy that places sell?

PS I am asking because my buddy was looking at a 2006 Honda CRF450X supermoto'ed for $5100 from a shop(I think it's too much). It's not made street legal yet either. Watching craigslist is more my style to buy used vehicles. Maybe we can watch for CRF450x's on craigslist.

Also, I did find this detailed thread on the plating process in CT https://thumpertalk.com/topic/600319-registering-an-off-road-use-only-bike-in-ct/

It's an old thread so would re-check the laws anyways.

Thanks

you can find dirt bikes on Craigslist for 2-3k in excellent condition , then he'd have to buy the kit and hope that when he goes through registration and stuff there's no issues with the title (ex. Off-road only) I'd say just get a dual sport and tell your friend that my uncle wanted a dual sport to travel about 8 miles to work he also didn't want to do over 45 .. 45 isn't that great on road it's actually kind of dangerous hopefully your friend is looking to get something that can do up to about 70 imo ... But I see on Craigslist guys selling a crf230 dual sport in good condition and low miles for around 3k ... Id just keep a eye out or go the safe way and tell him to get a drz

In CT, you cannot go through the "normal" motorcycle registration process with a dirt bike, the Title and/or Certificate of Origin will not allow it to be registered. You have to use the "composite" system.

Edited by Eddie8v

In CT, you cannot go through the "normal" motorcycle registration process with a dirt bike, the Title and/or Certificate of Origin will not allow it to be registered. You have to use the "composite" system.

Buy a ktm, any ktm can be registered in CT. They do not say "off road use only" on the certificate of origin. I have registered a few ktms in CT without even having them inspected. I have a plate on my xcw and never even installed brake lights, signals, horn, or mirrors.
  • Like 1

Buy a ktm, any ktm can be registered in CT. They do not say "off road use only" on the certificate of origin. I have registered a few ktms in CT without even having them inspected. I have a plate on my xcw and never even installed brake lights, signals, horn, or mirrors.

the dealer I bought mine from in Ct. offered me a odometer statement for the 2016 SX150 just in case I wanted to plate it

The reason I bought the xr400 I bought was because it was already CT titled/plated. So there is that route. If he only want to do 45 mph and got 10 miles, tell him to buy a honda ct90, they came street legal from the factory like mine below,

F61E5C4F-713C-448D-9606-2571E3D54C0D_zps

• Like 2

Do brake lights, horn and mirrors get inspected at time of registration or for state inspection ? In Vt. you could register the bike with none of the above you just won't get an inspection station to give you a state inspection sticker.

Do brake lights, horn and mirrors get inspected at time of registration or for state inspection ? In Vt. you could register the bike with none of the above you just won't get an inspection station to give you a state inspection sticker.

Only if you buy out of state. If you buy in state you don't have to bring the bike for inspection.

I said the roads would only be up to 45mph, not a bike with a top speed of 45, jesus. My point is that there will be no highway riding.

He is buying the plated 06 honda 450x supermoto. These things need the oil changed quite often, right? Anyone know how much? Is the oil shared with the transmission?

I said the roads would only be up to 45mph, not a bike with a top speed of 45, jesus. My point is that there will be no highway riding.

He is buying the plated 06 honda 450x supermoto. These things need the oil changed quite often, right? Anyone know how much? Is the oil shared with the transmission?

Lol
  • Like 1

The reason I bought the xr400 I bought was because it was already CT titled/plated. So there is that route. If he only want to do 45 mph and got 10 miles, tell him to buy a honda ct90, they came street legal from the factory like mine below,F61E5C4F-713C-448D-9606-2571E3D54C0D_zps

I have a Goped scooter that goes 45mph and is street legal from factory because it's only 46cc's. I told him to get one of those but he wouldn't go for it. lol

nr6OLYs.jpg

Edited by GerGa

I have a Goped scooter that goes 45mph and is street legal from factory because it's only 46cc's. I told him to get one of those but he wouldn't go for it. lol

nr6OLYs.jpg

I'll reply with my go ped

B0CBD2EB-D31F-4EF8-9005-F4F462C65331_zps

Street legal mean it has a head light a tail light/brake light  turn signals and a horn anything you put that on is street legal

Edited by Jose Martinez

5 hours ago, Jose Martinez said:

Street legal mean it has a head light a tail light/brake light  turn signals and a horn anything you put that on is street legal

I don't know about CT, but here in PA, street legal means plated, registered, titled, insured, and passes PA safety inspection. 

To pass inspection, you need way more than Jose listed. You need a headlight with high and low beams, a blue dash board light to show that the high beams are on, brake light, horn, mirrors of a specific size, chain guard, DOT tires and depending on the inspector, more. PA officially does not require turn signals, but some inspectors don't know that and won't pass you. So the short answer here in PA is to buy a bike that is street legal, its not cost effective to add all that stuff.