Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Alamosa/San Luis Valley area

I am moving to Alamosa in a week or so and need a place to ride and also people to ride with. I usually ride single track but have been getting into the MX thing lately. I know there's Alamosa Canyon but hear it's closed in the winter. I want to check out Sutak Raceway - where the Cat's Classic is - but not sure if it's open to the public? Where else to ride in the area over the winter? Also northern NM if it's not too far. I'd ideally like to find an MX track and some singletrack close by to get to know and practice on.

Alex

Thanks for the message, but yeah those are pretty far. I was told there are some practice days in Mosca but the guy is out of town for a while or something. How about trails? I do know there is Alamosa Canyon west of Monte Vista which supposedly has some OHV single track but might be closed in the winter? Anything else?

What is the legality of riding on public land, like say we were to head up to the mountain ridge over there and start riding? 🙂

For trails have you guys been to Bonanza/Whale Mtn/Otto Mears Toll Road, or Texas Creek?

Seems like these are not rideable in winter, as they are around 8,000 ft +

Alex, lots of singletrack in the area.  Nothing open this time of year due to heavy snow this year.  On rare occasions, during dry years, some lower elevation areas stay open.  Prime trails are at higher elevation do not open normally until mid to late June.  Del Norte, South Fork, Creede, south on the Alamosa and Conejos canyons are all good areas. We have a MC club in the valley.  Years ago put on many enduros and several Nationals.  Boot Hill MC , formally Boot Hill Enduro Club many years ago.  A RMEC event is in the planning stages near SF in July.  PM me for more info.  Robert