Sign in to follow this  

Prescription eyewear for off-road riding

I've gotten back into riding after 35 years. Now I must wear prescription glasses for clear vision. Wearing glasses under goggles can be problematic. I've never worn contacts but am considering this option. To contact wearers: do you have any problems in dusty or sandy conditions? Does anyone have recommendations for alternatives to contacts or regular prescription glasses?

I wore contacts for a couple of years, didn't really work out for riding. Went to wearing prescription goggles from ProVue, that was over 10years ago, I've had to replace the Scott OG goggles a couple times, but the carrier lens is removable so you can swap them, great product

My wife and I have up on OTG setups. None worked great. I now notched the sides with a razor. Most full size goggles work well cut.

Some optometrists will make goggle lenses for you. I suffer through with my dirt bike goggles, but had prescription lenses put in my scuba goggles. Maybe one day, but me lenses for my scuba goggles were damn near 600$ cdn, or around 400$ American. Ask your optometrist, but mine happened to do his dive license the same time I did. If you can't find one to do it, pm me and I would be happy to give you his information.

Nothing but soft contacts for me, much better peripheral vision which does make a difference. Like the look of those stick on readers also, thanks LSHD!

I can't wear contacts because dust irritates my eyes too much. Even drying out from airflow with them in feels like sand has been poured in.

I use a set of custom 100% goggles made by pro-vue with lenses in them, they work great and are super nice

http://www.pro-vue.com/

Price looks reasonable too.

• Like 1

I can't wear contacts because dust irritates my eyes too much. Even drying out from airflow with them in feels like sand has been poured in.

Price looks reasonable too.

Along with the drying out problem, after hours of riding, I would often forget I had contacts in and would rub my tired, old eyes and dislodge them. Putting them back in out in the field is difficult to impossible.

Back when I bought my ProVues', they were around 100dollars

Can't imagine modern soft contacts drying out. Maybe some don't blink enough, it does make a difference. I had some pres goggles many years ago but when I took them off I was blind, I really didn't like that. No way I was going to walk around all day with my goggles on. Good luck whatever you use, seeing what is coming is a really good thing.