Sign in to follow this  

Tighten very loose spokes

How do you get those f-in annoying spokes with 1/2" of free play tight?

I have spent the whole evening in the garage trying to get the seized nuts and bent spokes correctly tightened, but I can't get it right.

Had to finally give up, if I had kept wrenching that poor wheel would've been thrown through the window!

Please give a very frustrated young man a clue how to fix those spokes.

Yeah, really frozen spokes I would just cut TF off. Replace with OEM and use anti-seize.

Yeah I'll probably order a couple of new ones if i can't fix it tomorrow.

Hope the wd-40 has done its work overnight.

How do you get those f-in annoying spokes with 1/2" of free play tight?

You should never let them get that loose.

Hope the wd-40 has done its work overnight.

WD-40 isn't really a penetrating oil.  I'd try something else.  (Not sure what you might have in Sweden.)  Heat (from a propane torch) can help also.  As others have said, sometimes you just have to replace them.

Are they aluminum spoke nipples?  I hate aluminum nipples. :foul:   Because they're dissimilar metals, the nipples and spokes weld themselves together over time.  The aluminum ones are even easier to round off than the steel ones. 👎

Edited by Jim_B
  • Like 1

The spokes are probably out of thread to tighten and need replaced anyways.

This might be obvious but if the nipples are seized, pull the tire and spray both sides of the nipples with PB- Blaster and let sit for a bit. IMO way better than WD40.

Then at least on my bike you can use an allen key on the inside of the nipple.

I went though this on my bike so took one nipple out at a time, cleaned and replace the nipple or spoke if need, then anti-seize to re-assemble.

Then there is the whole process of tightening and ensuring the rim is true

• Like 2

This might be obvious but if the nipples are seized, pull the tire and spray both sides of the nipples with PB- Blaster and let sit for a bit. IMO way better than WD40.

Then at least on my bike you can use an allen key on the inside of the nipple.

I went though this on my bike so took one nipple out at a time, cleaned and replace the nipple or spoke if need, then anti-seize to re-assemble.

Then there is the whole process of tightening and ensuring the rim is true

Uh you said nipple, lol3838395330_Buttheads_answer_2_xlarge.jpg Yeup, youtube has the truing methods as filter says!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help guys!

I managed to tighten all spokes except for two ones where the rim was a bit dented. Had some cooling spray laying around that I sprayed on the nipples which really seemed to loosen up good, so try that if you have problems with your nipples. (lol)

• Like 2

Ya kinda hard not to say nipples - see I said hard and nipples in the same sentence 🙂

My rear rim - and I said rear and rim in the same sentence, is a bit bend but I can tweek the spokes enough it straight enough that I don't need a new one yet

• Like 1

This might be a stupid question, but do spokes stretch? I am just getting into this sport and bought a used xr650l. It seems like all the spokes all loose on both tires. It that something I need to be checking often?

I wrecked the other day and now I have a horrible wobbly front wheel. After checking it with a marker the rim is bent and the spokes have no more threads to tighten.

Any help would be great. Thanks

Re-lace. New spokes, new nipples. Easy job but patience is key, search youtube for videos.

Edited by YHGEORGE