Sign in to follow this  

Inverted forks on DRZ400E

Please don't ask why I want to do this, it is a valid reason, just a long story  😉

I imagine the DRZ400SM forks will not work.

I am told that the RM200 2001-2005 forks will work with the OEM RM250 triple clamp and the SM lower fork guards

Will this be ok for 90% street use?

Edited by Dramabeats

Define what's considered OK.....

Just get a complete front end and adapt bearings and such. I am assuming you prefer form over function?

• Like 1

Define what's considered OK.....

Just get a complete front end and adapt bearings and such. I am assuming you prefer form over function?

Yes, in this case, it is sort of a form thing.

Mostly commuting with some twisties mixed in occasionally

I found a set of triple clamps and forks on Ebay. What else do I need to do?

Edited by Dramabeats

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453600112.302610.jpg

I have a set off a 2003 RM 250. I forget the exact post but there is some good info on the swap just do a search. I bought a complete setup forks and triples together. I would recommend new bearings ( not needed though). You will need to have heavier springs installed due to the added weight of the DRZ. If you are using the stock headlight I am not 100% sure it will work because the fork tubes are bigger. I hope this helps. Any other questions Just ask I will do my best to help out!

• Like 1

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453600112.302610.jpg

I have a set off a 2003 RM 250. I forget the exact post but there is some good info on the swap just do a search. I bought a complete setup forks and triples together. I would recommend new bearings ( not needed though). You will need to have heavier springs installed due to the added weight of the DRZ. If you are using the stock headlight I am not 100% sure it will work because the fork tubes are bigger. I hope this helps. Any other questions Just ask I will do my best to help out!

Which headlight are you using? did you order it in yellow?

Thank you I will PM you once I get the front end setup together

Which headlight are you using? did you order it in yellow?

Thank you I will PM you once I get the front end setup together

I am running the KLX 450 headlight. Bought it off eBay. It uses rubber straps but holds very tight and lighting is pretty good ( no worse then stock)IMO. Yeah man feel free to PM me.
  • Like 1

did you paint it?

anyone know if there is a difference between RM125 and RM250 forks? 47mm Showa

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453600112.302610.jpg

Fuuuuuuck man! That is the best looking dirt oriented Z i've seen! Major props on the job!

• Like 2

did you paint it?

anyone know if there is a difference between RM125 and RM250 forks? 47mm Showa

No I didn't paint it. It was difficult to find in yellow though. I will try and find the link for you.

I saw some really nice 04 RM250 forks on Ebay, I made a low offer and the dude accepted  👍

Now I just need clamps, according to this post the 05 triple clamps will work?

Hard to find on ebay, but I did find a 05 RMZ250 tree

According to that post, they are the same fork size and offset

***I recommend you try and find some 2001 - 2003 RM125 forks (Showa 47mm). Or 2004 and up RM125/RM250 (Also Showa 47mm).

Then just buy some 05 RM125/250 clamps. OEM or Aftermarket. (22.5mm offset). This is the easiest setup to get parts for, the 49mm triples are getting harder to come by. ***

Edited by Dramabeats
  • Like 1

Please don't ask why I want to do this, it is a valid reason, just a long story  😉

I imagine the DRZ400SM forks will not work.

I am told that the RM200 2001-2005 forks will work with the OEM RM250 triple clamp and the SM lower fork guards

Will this be ok for 90% street use?

the e/s/sm forks and triples will swap to whichever frame you have, e, s, or sm.

if you were swapping to 17" wheels, and had a front wheel already, i would understand doing it for the simplicity of the braking, but for 21/18 wheels, i dunno. 

the e/s/sm forks and triples will swap to whichever frame you have, e, s, or sm.

if you were swapping to 17" wheels, and had a front wheel already, i would understand doing it for the simplicity of the braking, but for 21/18 wheels, i dunno. 

I already have 17" wheels

I already have 17" wheels

cool - you'll have a bunch of fun then. don't forget to check your 6 before wheelies ;-) 

Very nice bike mate, best I've seen in a while. Also what headlight are you using?

Thanks bud. KLX 450 just use the link drama posted up or search eBay. Overall pretty happy with it.

Bringing this thread back up. 05 RMZ triple clamps will work right? I read something about them being too close together?

Should I just try to find RM triples with the 22.5mm offset?

Edited by Dramabeats