Sign in to follow this  

Fly wheel holder

I am in the process of taking the flywheel off a 97 kx 125. Do I have to have the flu wheel holder to get it off. I've read things that say you have to thread the puller all the way in first but I can't get it to thread all the way in. Will the holder help me get it further in? Thanks in advance

Stuff some clean rope in the spark plug hole. Do so with the piston high above the ports.

I much prefer a piston stop over a flywheel holder.

Sorry. Yes you need a puller

I have the puller, I'm talking about the flywheel holder. I'm just trying to make it and easy process it's kicking my ass when it shouldn't be lol

Stuff some clean rope in the spark plug hole. Do so with the piston high above the ports.

I much prefer a piston stop over a flywheel holder.

The motor is tore down to the bottom end. I just need to get the flywheel off so I can split the cases and have my crank sent off

I gotcha. I always do it with the jug on.

My clutch holder has posts to hold the fw.

I gotcha. I always do it with the jug on.

My clutch holder has posts to hold the fw.

I see. I can order the same thing. FW holder/clutch holder, I think that's what I might do.

sounds like it's not threading all the way into FW ?  I'd look to see how deep the threads actaully are of the FW, it may just be bottoming out.  Take the center push bolt out of the puller before you thread it in. Squirt a glob of grease into the center push bolt hole before threading the bolt in. Zap it with impact driver, the grease will be like hydralic pressure and protect the crank snout. If you don't have a impact driver you can try striking your wrench or socket drive sharply.

sounds like it's not threading all the way into FW ? I'd look to see how deep the threads actaully are of the FW, it may just be bottoming out. Take the center push bolt out of the puller before you thread it in. Squirt a glob of grease into the center push bolt hole before threading the bolt in. Zap it with impact driver, the grease will be like hydralic pressure and protect the crank snout. If you don't have a impact driver you can try striking your wrench or socket drive sharply.

I need to get the puller out now haha. I need to see how far the threads go in as you said, I just have to try and get the puller out now. Making it kinda difficult with the flywheel moving around

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453598380.059738.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453598457.930903.jpg

Found the issue. The puller bolt doesn't fit (the reason it won't go in). With that being said, does anyone know what size I need? Or what would be my best bet?

Unless I'm looking at it wrong. Does that piece inside the big threads pop off to allow the puller bolt to insert into the middle. Any help would be great. This was a lot easier for my 2013 Rmz when I serviced it.

I only see half of the puller.....An do not use a gear puller ever under any circumstances,  It can flex the flywheel and damage the magnets.  DO NOT DO THIS!  If someone says "I've been doing it for years."  They have been jacking stuff up for years.  There are threads on your flywheel, they will be Left handed (loosening direction)  that you will thread in first.  What looks like the part you have in the picture will be the jacking bolt that will actually pop the flywheel off of the crank.

Edited by crazyal426
  • Like 1

I only see half of the puller.....An do not use a gear puller ever under any circumstances, It can flex the flywheel and damage the magnets. DO NOT DO THIS! If someone says "I've been doing it for years." They have been jacking stuff up for years. There are threads on your flywheel, they will be Left handed (loosening direction) that you will thread in first. What looks like the part you have in the picture will be the jacking bolt that will actually pop the flywheel off of the crank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_w8nlq0Vzg

Yes I know. I have both parts of the puller I just took the jacking bolt out to show the difference in size. I had the puller in but I couldn't get the jacking bolt to go into the inside threads. In my second picture I was wondering if the piece around the inside threads pops off to reveal the inside threads more.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453601272.076953.jpg

The piece that I circled, does it pop off? I'm not familiar with the flywheel on the KX. I was wondering why that notch was there next to that center piece

Thread the outside of the puller into the flywheel. Put a penny between the crank gear and the clutch gear on the other side to stop the crank from turning. Put the center bolt intop the puller and tighten it. The flywheel will come off. The notch is where the alignment key is.

Edited by JoeRC51
  • Like 1

The smaller threaded hole in the center is for the FW bolt,  puller does not thread into it, but pushes against that area. Penny is good idea to protect the end of the crank. If it doesn't seem to budge, try wacking the end of the puller bolt when it's tightened up.

• Like 1

Thread the outside of the puller into the flywheel. Put a penny between the crank gear and the clutch gear on the other side to stop the crank from turning. Put the center bolt intop the puller and tighten it. The flywheel will come off. The notch is where the alignment key is.

Okay that's what I was thinking, I just didn't want to start knocking on things before I got a good answer