Sign in to follow this  

Ktm vs Husqvarna

I'm going to buy either the 501s or 500 EXC in the next few weeks. I keep going back and forth on which one to buy. I had a few questions that may help me make my decision. I'm about 200 lb with gear and up until now have ridden 90% mx in the novice class. This bike will be used for about 85% dirt and trails/single track. I'll keep my crf for the track. I know the basic differences between the two. Which would you choose and why? Also what is everyone paying? I got a quote of $11.5k out the door for the 2016 Husky here in So Cal (higher than most other places). Does this seem decent? I also got a quote of $10.5k out the door for a 2015 501s. Are there any worthy differences between the 2015 and 2016?

At least where I live in so cal, there are a lot more Ktm dealers and parts for ktm's. Around here from I've seen ktm's are more sought after as well, so resale is higher. So for me it's a no brainer, Ktm all the way.

Last year in 2015, my area wanted $12,200 for a Husky 501 otd . On my way to KTM they came down to $11,900. That didn't even make me blink.

Now I really liked the 2015 Husky Colors , but the orange and the natural color tanks wear a lot better color wise longer term over the ghost white. You cant match the Husky color tank wise, black is probably the best option.

Really, the rear linkage is the only desire, at the same time the pds is so easy to remove and service, including the OC forks.  For me the KTM is fine, plus I stay in kick start shape.

But you know a 2015 husky, for around 10,000 otd,  might bite on that, even though alittle tougher on the maintenance and suspension work.

that 2015 husky seat is hard though, the ktms is usable.

husky hasnt shown me any reason to be paying more money for the 501 instead of the ktm 500. 

where do you ride in socal? 

If you do more open desert riding out in Johnson Valley or Red Mtn/Trona Rd area, the Husky's link suspension will be easier on you.  That's really about the only difference.

husky hasnt shown me any reason to be paying more money for the 501 instead of the ktm 500.

where do you ride in socal?

Mostly Milestone, Perris and occasionally Glen Helen. When I ride desert it's mostly El Mirage, Johnson's Valley or occasionally Ocotillo. I've actually been off the bike for a while after fracturing my knee.

It may come down to which bike I cam get cheaper. The only local shops that sell KTM are Chaparral (never wanted to deal in the past) and Malcolm Smith Motorsports. I was leaning towards KTM but now I'm undecided. The resale had me thinking KTM at first, because the older Husqvarnas (pre 2014) have bad resale, but the newer KTM owned Husqvarnas seem to be holding value.

I love my Ktm and my buddy has the 501 I'm glad I went Ktm it's got a better seat and the major thing was having the kick start, I know a lot of people that went Ktm just because of the kick start, the husky seat height is a bit lower than the Ktm but they ride very close to the same in the dirt

kickstart is pointless if you have a dead batter. you still need power to run the fuel pump.

for any of those place you mentioned red450, i dont think either bike will work different for you. get the one that is cheaper or the one that looks nicer tou you.

kickstart is pointless if you have a dead batter. you still need power to run the fuel pump.

for any of those place you mentioned red450, i dont think either bike will work different for you. get the one that is cheaper or the one that looks nicer tou you.

Two years ago my brother in law and I went on a two day trip. He has a 2012 Ktm 500 exc. On day one we rode and everything was normal. Went to sleep and woke up the next morning to a bike that wouldn't turn over. The battery was to dead for the starter. He put his foot on the Kickstarter and two kicks later the bike lit up. For the rest of the trip he had to kick start it every time we stopped. So for us, the kickstarter saved the entire trip.
  • Like 1

It may come down to which bike I cam get cheaper. The only local shops that sell KTM are Chaparral (never wanted to deal in the past) and Malcolm Smith Motorsports. I was leaning towards KTM but now I'm undecided. The resale had me thinking KTM at first, because the older Husqvarnas (pre 2014) have bad resale, but the newer KTM owned Husqvarnas seem to be holding value.

I've bought 2 KTM's from Orange County KTM (OCKTM) in the last year and a half. I used the retail price but paid that OTD. My '14 350EXC was $10K OTD and the '15 300 XC-W was $8,600 OTD.

They advertise retail prices with no freight and setup but you can still negotiate down the price.

Another dealt that advertises the same is 3Bros Racing in Costa Mesa. I have never bought anything from them but I brother bought 2 500's from them in the last 3 months. Can't really tell about the deals as he also traded in 2 '07 525's.

There is 1 BIG service difference that these 2 dealers offer that you really should do that most other dealers don't offer. PM for details....

I've bought 2 KTM's from Orange County KTM (OCKTM) in the last year and a half. I used the retail price but paid that OTD. My '14 350EXC was $10K OTD and the '15 300 XC-W was $8,600 OTD.

They advertise retail prices with no freight and setup but you can still negotiate down the price.

Another dealt that advertises the same is 3Bros Racing in Costa Mesa. I have never bought anything from them but I brother bought 2 500's from them in the last 3 months. Can't really tell about the deals as he also traded in 2 '07 525's.

There is 1 BIG service difference that these 2 dealers offer that you really should do that most other dealers don't offer. PM for details....

i liked zracing before it was ocktm. 3bros ktm has been an awesome dealer for me thus far. i wish i would have bought my 500 from them.

Two years ago my brother in law and I went on a two day trip. He has a 2012 Ktm 500 exc. On day one we rode and everything was normal. Went to sleep and woke up the next morning to a bike that wouldn't turn over. The battery was to dead for the starter. He put his foot on the Kickstarter and two kicks later the bike lit up. For the rest of the trip he had to kick start it every time we stopped. So for us, the kickstarter saved the entire trip.

thats great to hear.

ive heard several different accounts from other riders i have come across. the battery must have had just enough juice to power the fuel pump. 

thats great to hear.

ive heard several different accounts from other riders i have come across. the battery must have had just enough juice to power the fuel pump. 

If the battery has a dead cell and is not functioning properly it will not start with the kickstarter either, search and you will find a thread here on how to build a capacitor.  Swap the battery cables to the capacitor, kick a couple time and ride back to the truck - they work!

• Like 1

i liked zracing before it was ocktm. 3bros ktm has been an awesome dealer for me thus far. i wish i would have bought my 500 from them.

My deal is I don't give a shit if I like the dealer or not. It's all about price. I know where I'm taking my bike for service.

My deal is I don't give a shit if I like the dealer or not. It's all about price. I know where I'm taking my bike for service.

cool deal bro

does mark still do the work at OCKTM?

If the battery has a dead cell and is not functioning properly it will not start with the kickstarter either, search and you will find a thread here on how to build a capacitor. Swap the battery cables to the capacitor, kick a couple time and ride back to the truck - they work!

That should be PBDblue. He's a great guy and built me a nice connector that goes in place of the plug you pull so your headlight turns off after 10 seconds. The plug he built goes into that same place but now powers my GPS so I didn't need to run the wire all the way back to the battery.

cool deal bro

does mark still do the work at OCKTM?

I don't know, I don't go there for service. It's funny, I grew up in Brea, where Horace, the new owner of OCKTM owned a towing company. We new a lot of the same people.

Fuel pump will run, down to about 10 to 9.5 volts, motor wont turn over once below 12.5 v  to 12v or there abouts   , so the kickstart might just come in handier than thought.

Unless you can bump start, but Ive never enjoyed bump starting a high compression 4 stroke.