Sign in to follow this  

Ktm 450 and 500 XC-Ws

Hey ktm guys! I have a 2006 Crf450r with some goodies on it that I race a little and use for trail riding whenever the group goes out. I have been looking into the new ktms however and I am stuck the 450xc-w and 500xc-w. The main question I need answered is, where does the torque live in the 500? Is there more torque "everywhere" or mainly just down low, with a more or less lack of torque in the mid and high rpm ranges? I love the powerband of my 450 (enough power down low to pop off ledges and enough overrev to be fun) but I am planning to ride about 50% street so I wouldn't be apposed to more power everywhere, I just dont want ALL my power in the lower rpms. I plan to head to the dealer and test ride eventually, this is mainly for my curiousity untill then. Thanks!

Edited by Bubba303

stock form the 500 will feel vanilla compared to a 450. mod the exhaust tip and tweak tps, youll have more power everywhere, but still less revs than a 450 with a milder hit toward the top. since you are already used to a 450, and if you can get it plated, why not stick to a 450? the 500 just fills in the power gap from bottom to mid.

Edited by TheW0LF

Neither of the ktms will have the snap of a 450r, but that is a good thing in the woods. If you will be riding knarly singletrac, you'll love the xcws. And you can ride right out of your garage.

I just dont want ALL my power in the lower rpms. I plan to head to the dealer and test ride eventually, this is mainly for my curiousity untill then. Thanks!

The 450 is a short stroke motor, that seems to have some effect in the revving feel, they actually produce peak horse in the same rpm range.

The 450 has about 5 total  horse less than the 500.  IF you like to leave the bike pegged at the limiter, the counter balancer is better suited for the 450, the 500 uses the same balancer.

However the 500 is stronger on the bottom through the midrange.

The 500 makes the better streetable dual sport imo

Thanks for the info guys, makes sense! I joined TT yesterday and already have learned more than watching youtube videos! Can't wait to go test ride! Too bad the only guys that post youtube videos of the 450 and 500 from ktm demo days aren't very skilled riders so their reviews are useless!

Sh

Thanks for the info guys, makes sense! I joined TT yesterday and already have learned more than watching youtube videos! Can't wait to go test ride! Too bad the only guys that post youtube videos of the 450 and 500 from ktm demo days aren't very skilled riders so their reviews are useless!

should be noted you are talking xcw's and not exc's so some stuff doesn't apply, the xcw 500 comes an instant 3 horse gain over the exc500,  Peak horse on the Exc 500 is about like a xcw 450 , atleast till its mapping and piping is fixed.

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

The 500 and a tiny bit more power everywhere in the powerband over the 450xcw. The 450 does have a shorter stroke but does not seem to rev any quicker than the 500. The 450 xcw motor is not the same as a 450sxf. Side by side drag they are both identical in acceleration, but the 500 has a slight edge over the 450 in seat of the pants feel. My buddy has the 450 and i have the 500 and we swap bikes often. Both are stock except for mufflers. It would come down to price more than anything else if i had to choose one over the other.

I rode both bikes at a KTM demo and found the 450 xcw engine felt racier, like it rev'ed quicker and continued to make power as it rev'ed into the high rpms(even if it was less peak power than the 500, if that makes any sense)    If I was in the market for an xcw i would have bought a 450 xcw but since I needed an exc the choice for me was between 350 and 500 so I went 500. I would love to see dnyo charts of the 450 xcw vs the 500.  Coming off a CRF450 I think you'll find the 450xcw to be more your style.

I've had the 450 and the 500, 2010 carb and 2014 FI respectively.  The 450 is a much smoother motor and revs higher.  The 500 will power wheelie up through 4th gear.  The low end on the 500 is astonishing.  As long as you have some open throttle it will not stop.   It will only stall on a hill if you let off the throttle.  All this assumes proper gear for speed and terrain.  I run 13:50 on my 500 and it will hit 90MPH with ease.  In fact, I was at 76 today and nowhere near reving out at 5th gear.  My 6th gear has all of about 2 minutes total run time in two years.

Edited by L. Euler

I have an 05 CRF450R with a pipe, and a '15 500exc desmogged remapped with a pipe. They feel the same in top end power, but the 500 has significantly more bottom and mid range power. It makes it a much easier bike to ride in technical sections. I've raced a buddy on my 450, and the 500 is definitely faster. Same results against an 06 KX450, and a 12 WR450.

I have an 05 CRF450R with a pipe, and a '15 500exc desmogged remapped with a pipe. They feel the same in top end power, but the 500 has significantly more bottom and mid range power. It makes it a much easier bike to ride in technical sections. I've raced a buddy on my 450, and the 500 is definitely faster. Same results against an 06 KX450, and a 12 WR450.

I think the 500's transmission plays a role major when racing against track bikes. The long gears and high torque allow the 500 to steadily pull away. I learned that before I owned mine. I used to have a yz 426 which I thought would easily beat the 500. That yz426 was pretty quick. So me and my brother in law (on his 12 500 exc) raced and after 20 ft he easily pulled away from me, then pulled up a wheelie and kept pulling away till he hit around 70 and let off. I was devastated and that was when I knew I had to get one. Well it took three years, but I finally got one.
  • Like 1

I think the 500's transmission plays a role major when racing against track bikes. The long gears and high torque allow the 500 to steadily pull away. I learned that before I owned mine. I used to have a yz 426 which I thought would easily beat the 500. That yz426 was pretty quick. So me and my brother in law (on his 12 500 exc) raced and after 20 ft he easily pulled away from me, then pulled up a wheelie and kept pulling away till he hit around 70 and let off. I was devastated and that was when I knew I had to get one. Well it took three years, but I finally got one.

I found that by the time you hit 4th on the 500, the MX bikes have already run out of gears. That was with 13-45 gearing on the 500.

Edited by lanceuppercut