Sign in to follow this  

2005 CRF450R Wont Start

My CRF450 wont even fire up now after routine carb clean out and oil change. I am relatively new to four strokes, I have always owned/worked on two strokes so I'm learning about the thumper as I go. So far I have replaced the stator, wiring harness, and CDI box. Bike was running great after getting my electrical problem resolved however, after riding at the track the past two weekends the bike started to run like crap, backfiring really bad, stalling out, not cranking, not idling, etc. I got it back home started to strip it down realized the quick adjust fuel screw at the very bottom of the carb had completely vibrated out! Also, one of my back fender bolts also vibrated out causing it to sag and my air filter, being exposed was completely covered in dirt/water from the muddy track I was at. I ordered a new fuel screw, air filter, plug, oil filter and replaced everything. I had the carb completely stripped down for the first time and cleaned it out thoroughly. After putting everything back together It wont start. It tries to but it just wont stay running.

I havent checked the valves only because it was running great before the fuel screw fell out

I havent checked the spark because it tries to start so I assumed it was getting spark. (I will check first thing tomorrow)

It has plenty of compression 

Im pretty positive I put the carb back together correctly it's pretty simple

THIS THING IS KICKING MY ASS ANY SUGGESTIONS? 

I pledge to post the culprit and solution after I get it running!

Thanks,

Mitchell

Replaced the fuel screw with the spring/washer and oring after ensuring the old parts were gone?

You did not take the carb body apart (torx screws) right?

If you took the slide out, you put the release plate back in, square side down?

holy crap no I didnt make sure the old spring and oring were out I just assumed they came out with the old screw, good point i'll check tomorrow.

No I  only took the bowl off,  jets out, slide out, float off, accelerator pump/diaphragm/spring out.

Is the release plate the square black plate on the slide with the oring around it? if so I put it back on the only way it seemed to fit.

I am going to re-check entire carb today to make sure the slide plate is seated correctly and that its not upside down. Also gonna check to make sure the old spring and Oring are not still in the carb. After doing all that I will report back.

Does anyone know what the idle screw and fuel screw should be set at when starting from thee beginning like this? 

I am downloading a manual now it should be in there im assuming..

Got it running puuuurrrrrrfect! 🙄  🙄  🙄

The front plate on the carb slide was on upside down from my last carb cleanout. Once I flipped it right side up it fired up but idled way way too high.

The idle screw was broken so I had to adjust that with needle nose pliers after that it ran great cranked first or second kick everytime!

Its for sale by the way $2300

Im switching to fuel injection

Reply to this post if interested!