Sign in to follow this  

2006 KLX 125 questions

Just picked up an 06 klx 125. What oil does it take? How much of it? And what's the procedure? Anyone have a carb diagram? Needs to be cleaned. Trying to locate a free-ish manual for it. Any pitfalls I should know about?

image.jpeg

Edited by BigRedThumper

Most manuals tell you to start it up and get the oil warmed up then shut it down. Unscrew the engine plug and let it drain out. Reinstall the plug and torque to specification Unscrew the oil filter cap and replace the oil filter. Do not know if you have a dip stick or a sight glass to physically check oil levels. I would put about a half qt of your favorite 10 W 40 synthetic motor oil and then check oil level. Probably going to need more so add a little until you see it fall between the lower and upper measuring points. On my bike it has to be stood up vertical to the ground before measuring. Start the bike up and let it run a couple of minutes. Add oil to just below the upper level mark. As for diagrams of the various parts, go on one of the motorcycle parts suppliers websites (I use Bike Bandit ) and pull up the schematic of whatever it is you want to work on. Make sure you click on OEM when asked. It will not tell you how but you should be able to figure out if you want to tackle whatever is giving you a problem. At some point you may want to order the Kawasaki service manual for your bike if you plan on having it for awhile.

I'm well aware on how to change oil. Asking more about what oil it requires since I will only run what factory recommends. Pretty sure engineers that build bikes have a far better handle on what oil to run than the guy down the street who claims his stuff is the best and this is why.