Sign in to follow this  

Gnarly and Turbine Core 2 for YZ250X

Wondering if anyone has used the Gnarly and Turbine Core for the YZ250X

I picked my 250X up in October (just in time to store it in MN  :banghead: ) and when It came in I had them install the GYTR Turbine Core 2 silencer as I need a spark arrestor for where I ride.  I also ordered a GYTR/FMF Gnarly as well but did not have it installed.  Below is DirtBikeTest.com's review of these products:

http://dirtbiketest.com/product-tests/fmf-gnarly-and-turbine-core-for-yamaha-yz250x/

My questions are

1) Has anyone used the Gnarly on the 250X?  Thoughts? Any jetting change?

2) I can't find online the Turbine Core 2.1 they mention in the article.  I look on Rocky Mountain ATV/MC, Yamaha site, and FMF site.  Am I missing it?

Thanks all.  Can't wait for spring....

Yeah I'm guessing they got it from FMF directly, but even they don't list it available for the 250x. Maybe a pre production model or something.

Thats what I guessed.  Seemed strange not to mention it in the article.  But hey, something maybe to look forward to.

Never tried the gnarly but the fatty works awesome. I was not to impressed with the gnarly in that article, did not seem to do much.

For the silencer that you mentioned the turbine core 2.1 is a new product and it isnt released to the public yet. There are a few that are lucky enough to be able to be given one and to test it though. ps. it works amazing, and looks killer. Another note, the titanium model is $399 and the aluminum one is $299 I believe.

GoYamaha

For the silencer that you mentioned the turbine core 2.1 is a new product and it isnt released to the public yet. There are a few that are lucky enough to be able to be given one and to test it though. ps. it works amazing, and looks killer. Another note, the titanium model is $399 and the aluminum one is $299 I believe.

GoYamaha

$300 for just the silencer? Holy smokes! Looks like 4-stroke pricing is leeching into the smoking section!

• Like 2

I have a gnarly off of my 2012 yz, that I haven't tried yet, as I like the way the stocker runs, I just wish it pulled a lil bit longer on top, I'm thinking of goin down 1 tooth on the rear,

Mite try the fatty, but I think FMF is building a new pipe tuned just for the X!

I have not Been able to conferm this tho !

$300 for just the silencer? Holy smokes! Looks like 4-stroke pricing is leeching into the smoking section!

GYTR

Why pay for a middle man? I'd bet fmf won't charge that.

Looking on FMF's page in the 2 stroke section they list: Powercore 2.1 (Alum) $199, Powercore Titanium 2.1 $399, Turbine core 2.1 $229

GYTR
Why pay for a middle man? I'd bet fmf won't charge that.

• Like 1

At this time those are only avail. For the KTM/husky

If you look at the application guide for the YZx they arnt listed yet

Has anyone else tried any pipes or reed valve mods? Maybe a gearing change? Curious to here what people have tried & the results.

I've got a v-force out of my old yz, I was thinking of trying out

So I FINALY got around to trying my pls Gnarly on my 250X,

This is my opinion , the gnarly is easyer to ride, it makes more lower rpm power , and comes on the pipe smoother, it doesn't have the upper rev range is the stocker, but I could lug it around in 3rd even 4th gear easyer than the stocker, which is where I prefer to ride, I can ride faster longer with more control that way!

If I rode in the upper rpm range most of the time then the stock pipe would be better , mabey even a fatty!

But for ME I prefer the Gnarly!

Oh I also just used the stock silencer in my comparison ,

• Like 3

This is my opinion , the gnarly is easyer to ride, it makes more lower rpm power , and comes on the pipe smoother, it doesn't have the upper rev range is the stocker, but I could lug it around in 3rd even 4th gear easyer than the stocker, which is where I prefer to ride, I can ride faster longer with more control that way!

If I rode in the upper rpm range most of the time then the stock pipe would be better , mabey even a fatty!

How much more does the Gnarly stick out than the stock pipe?

How much more does the Gnarly stick out than the stock pipe?

I just put mine on last night and I was surprised at how similar it is. I think it sticks out a little bit more on the left side but not much at all. I'll try to take some pictures later tonight.

It does stick out a lil more but I don't see it as a big deal,

Baddos, you useing stock silencer?

will you be using the a different silencer with a spark arrestor?  Did you need to re-jet?  

I didn't rejet , but could drop 1 on the pilot & maybe 1step leaner on the needle,

I will be useing a powercore 2.1 when they come avail, I'm told will be somtime in March ,

Here is what the gnarly looks like installed on my YZ250X. I can't really tell a difference on the right side, but might stick out slightly more on the left side. The bottom appears to be about the same.

20160131_161711.jpg

20160202_071652.jpg

20160202_071718.jpg

I bought my gnarly a couple of weeks ago but didn't install it until after my last right saturday so I can't comment on performance yet. I'm sure I'll need to adjust my jetting since my jetting was pretty fubar rich with the stock pipe. Still using stock muffler until my turbinecore 2.1 comes in. RMATV says delivery sometime in February.

Edited by baddos