Stripping....... JIS screws kick start

Had a bit that fit, gave it a twist and snapped the bit in the screw head. Okay got an impact driver that only has a P2 and P3 bits. Tried but failed with the P3. Started to strip. I know they're jis screws. Someone on advrider mentioned some screw heads from ace hardware would work that were used for dry wall. No bueno

Any advice. I do have an extractor set but I cringe thinking of all the metal shavings going everywhere in the case.

Should I wait for some.JIS screwdrivers or just try hammering the he'll out of the driver some more.?

20160123_225542.jpg

712408661_erDnt-L.jpg

I think i figured out my problem. Seems I may have bought a defective inpact driver. It will only tighten. Tried to push.and twist it left in a vice. No motion only tightening. Either way can't to replace these with Allen head style. First time harbor freight tools has let me down

Thanks fellow tt's!

• Like 1

#3 bit not 1 or 2.  Drive the bit in first without the impact to assure a good fit.  Then put the bit in a working impact driver. Set the driver to loosen. Set the driver with bit on the screw with no pretorque. Just hold it straight on.  Whack the driver with a hammer.  Has never failed for me.  It is not frozen in place or Loctited, it is just tight due to the conical shape of the head.

I had the same problem with a Harbor Freight impact driver, but if you play with it some it will change to loosen.

• Like 2

Well I tried using a real impact battery,powered driver and shredded the screws so I used my speed out screw extractor Worked like a charm.

Now the question is, I tried my best to cover the case with plastic but Im sure some metal shavings fell in. My best bet.just to change the oil once with Dino oil and then fill it with the good stuff?

Also anyone know what size Allen bolts I can use to replace the stripped ones? Going to aces hardware tomorrow but would be great if someone knew right off the bat

Well I tried using a real impact battery,powered driver and shredded the screws so I used my speed out screw extractor Worked like a charm.

Now the question is, I tried my best to cover the case with plastic but Im sure some metal shavings fell in. My best bet.just to change the oil once with Dino oil and then fill it with the good stuff?

Also anyone know what size Allen bolts I can use to replace the stripped ones? Going to aces hardware tomorrow but would be great if someone knew right off the bat

Those screws are countersunk for alignment reasons, only replace them with like in kind.