Sign in to follow this  

Can you reuse filter skins?

I run my YZ125 with filter skins on the air filter, and I'm rebuilding the top and bottom end, so cleaning the air filter also. I really would like to reuse my filter skin, as I don't have much money. Does anyone just wash their skins and reuse them or do you buy more? I will try reusing one and repost, just wondering if anyone else has tried

Thank you

Sure you can as long as it's in decent shape.

• Like 1

You can reuse them... Also, I hope you don't just clean filters every time you do a top end. That thing has to be disgusting and your piston must look terrible lol!

• Like 1

Filter skins are supposed to be cleaned often, so you don't have to clean the air filter as often.

Air filters can go a long time if you ride in wet weather, but if it's dry and dusty and you are riding behind other riders they may need to be cleaned every ride.

Either way they need to be cleaned far more often than at every top end.

Although - I have seen lots of stupid people who don't put their filters on right, don't clean them right, don't oil them right, don't put rim grease on, don't notice the holes in the filter, knock dirt into the intake, use a garden hose and then spray more oil, etc...

If you are one of "those" people (although you probably wouldn't know if you were), then you may be doing far more damage with your crappy cleaning job than if you did nothing at all.

Edited by mudguy
  • Like 1

On my CFR205R I use a Flo air filter that comes with 2 thin filters skins can can be cleaned, oiled and re-used. I've got 2 full sets or filters and I've only lost 1 of the thin skins cus I accidentally ripped it.

Anyway I like this option since depending how dusty it is a may put on 1 or 2 skins when I put on a new filter. Then super easy to pull a skin after one ride if you need.

Regularly well cleaned/oiled/replaced air filters are KEY for you motor.

I also use No-Toil. It works well for me and I like the fact that I can clean with warm water. Again super easy to clean filters if I'm on multi day camping trips.

This shows 1 skin but you get the idea.

0000_PC_Racing_Flo-X_Air_Filters_Red_633

Edited by filterx

Clean filter skins just like an air filter.  I little mineral spirits, then soap and water, then let dry.  Oil and use.

• Like 2

Oh air filter skins.... I thought you meant beatle skins.. those can only be reused once just turn them inside out and shake the f@#k out of them

Oh air filter skins.... I thought you meant beatle skins.. those can only be reused once just turn them inside out and shake the f@#k out of them

I don't think that's a good idea, seeing as when you turn them inside out, assuming you are planning on using them like that, just sucks all that crap into your intake and screw your carb up big time. Thanks all the same for the input Edited by HancockMX546