Sign in to follow this  

Caltric regulator/rectifier fried all bulbs!

I purchased a caltric regulator off eBay and installed it (wasn't charging but stator was good) and started the bike and was charging at 13.5 ish so I said perfect and sent for a ride and as soon as I got to a decent rpm my lights got super bright then went dark! I messaged the seller on eBay which was calrtic directly to see if they will send me a new one (hopefully this one works) and reimburse me for my bulbs!! Every bulb that was on is toast tail light headlight dash lights and even turn signals all toast

Hopefully they will work with me

Ok.. Rant over let me know what you guys think!

Do not waste your time and money with caltric or whatever there name is. I went through 3 of those damn things in my ignorance thinking it was the stator. They are plain Chinese junk. They won't refund your lights, but they will offer to send a new reg/rec. just get your money back and buy a trail tech universal reg/rec and be done

I've had a similar experience, but on a very different bike.  Years ago I had a Ducati 888 SPO and took it for a short ride at night.  I was on the other side of town on a straight road and decided to rev it up a little.  The lights got brighter, then a fuse blew out.  The fuses are supposed to go before the lights, so you might just check if that's what happened to your bike.

It was "fun" riding several miles back home in the dark with a dark motorcycle.  I rode it gently to a local mechanic a few days later and had him fix the regulator and whatever else had blown out.

The stator puts out 100% power all the time, higher power with higher revs.

The regulator is designed to shunt current to ground until the voltage is 'in spec'.

If the regulator weren't really doing anything the voltage would spike up, but the bulbs go higher resistance the hotter they get, so they get hotter and hotter until they burn out without spiking the current.

Just be glad your battery didn't cook- would have been a real bad time to have a lithium battery.

Xr650l_dave you are completely correct no fuses were blown because there was no amperage spikes but trying to get them to warranty the bulbs is like pulling teeth and I'm not sure of my flasher is bad

Turns out even my cheap multimeter was lying to me I was to lazy to get et out the fluke scope but I pulled it out and turns out she was putting out 30+c dc company gave me my money back but no bulbs and they don't even want the regulators they sent me so they have no care to even rectify the problem

And the trail tech R/R is only a 3 phase from what I can find

And good cheap regulators? I have no money left to fix the bike haven't even made first payment...