Big mini pit bike project--KLX 140L

As my son began to lose interest in riding last year, I made the decision to sell our 125 MX bikes. But I wasn't ready to quit riding, so I decided to purchase another pit bike that I could ride on our old pit bike track when I felt the urge. However, I'm getting old and felt that I'd be too cramped on a KLX 110. So I decided to go with a bigger mini. I looked at the TTR 125L, CRF 150f and the KLX 140L. Each has their advantages and disadvantages. After searching for a while and seeing nothing by roached out, neglected bikes, I contacted a couple friends and asked them to be on the look out for a decent bike. One friend called back and said he knew a guy that had purchased a brand new KLX 140 and KLX 140L for his girlfriend and son as a Christmas present in 2014. However, neither took an interest in bikes and they were just sitting in his shop after just a couple of rides. Long story short, I purchased the 140L. It still has the mold fleshings on the tires and the warning labels! All I've done so far is install a new battery and pull the snorkel out of the airbox, but I plan to upgrade the suspension with some USD forks from a KX and do some minor power upgrades. I'll try to keep this thread updated.

IMG_2443_zpsiomljzmw.jpg

IMG_2437_zpsskgxyfw8.jpg

IMG_2434_zpsd9wzboie.jpg

Well, I started the KX85 conversion yesterday. The KX forks were a direct bolt on. I have to install the KX brake caliper and brake line. The forks I purchased had the bolt on big bar conversion clamps/bar risers so I used a set of fat bars I already had. I have to finalize the mounting for the choke and the starter/on-off switch. I didn't realize the OEM bars have a hole drilled into them where this switch mounts. Should I drill a hole in the fat bars or grind down the stud inside the switch?

KLXconv_zpsmdzegbut.jpg

I got the KX85 front brake installed. The front is basically finished now. Hopefully the rear goes as smooth as the front! I plan to pull the entire swingarm and linkage and pack all the bearings with fresh grease when I flip the link and install the KLX125 dogbone. Even though this is basically a new bike, manufacturers have a reputation for going light on the grease during assembly.

I finished up the rear end last night. I flipped the KLX linkage over and installed the lower dogbone from a KLX125. I'm glad I pulled everything apart because there was very little grease in the bearings. Everything went smoothly but I didn't grind enough metal off the triangle portion. That was easily fixed with a Dremel tool. The combo of flipping the link over and the slightly shorter KLX125 dogbone raised the rear 1 1/4 inches. Now, if the sun would just come out so it would warm up enough to test it out!

klxFullSizeRender_zpsj4fss30e.jpg

Looking good.  I just bought my son the standard KLX140.  I might do the fork swap when he gets better.  Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

I added some number plate backgrounds and modified a few graphics from previous kits to dress it up a little.

IMG_2485_zpsmnbd81j8.jpg

IMG_2482_zps8dj6i5uy.jpg

Thanks! It's a fun bike for sure. The fork seals are starting to leak (yeah, big surprise) so I'm gonna replace the seals and switch to 20 weight oil. I'm sure I'll wind up adding stiffer springs later. The rear feels pretty good, as is. Seems to be a little stiffer after flipping the linkage.

How much taller is the seat height?  I have a tall skinny kid that doesn't have enough weight to jump to a 250.  She loves her 140L, but she is getting a little tall for it. I think the fork swap might be the answer

Thanks

Pete

You know, I didn't measure the seat height. The suspension mods added about 1 1/4 inch of height, so I assume the seat height was raised the same amount. I'm right at 6' and my son is 5' 11" and it's not too cramped for us. Of course, we're using it as a pitbike so we expect to be a little cramped. I knew from experience a KLX 110 would be too cramped for my 48 year old body and that is the biggest reason that I went with a "big mini". I think someone makes a tall seat for the 140's. That and some taller bars would add a lot more room.

Edited by Wandell
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replys.  There seems to be lowered foot pegs and taller seats for the 110, does any of that match the 140 or is it totally different?  I think I'll start with the suspension swaps first.  My son also has a 140L so I might get to all this twice.

Pete

Thanks for the replys. There seems to be lowered foot pegs and taller seats for the 110, does any of that match the 140 or is it totally different? I think I'll start with the suspension swaps first. My son also has a 140L so I might get to all this twice.

Pete

unless you can find a search for the lowered pegs or have a 110 or know someone that does and can compare them all you could do is take the chance

Yeah, there is a lot more to making the bike comfortable for a taller rider than just a taller seat height. The distance from the pegs to the top of the seat is a huge deal. A piece of taller seat foam will increase this distance as well as adding seat height. As mentioned, a set of lower pegs would be nice too. Anyone know if anyone makes taller seat foam for the KLX140?

if you can't find anyone that has taller seat foam then I'm sure you could call a major seat company and see of they can specialize it, may be pricey but worth it

I have read that KX85/100 foot pegs interchange with the KLX140 so that is a possibility.