Sign in to follow this  

200 exc Kickstarter Issues After Rebuild

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue, I have the factory manual and installed as to how it instructs. The issue I'm having is when I put the cover on, when i tighten (even snug) the bolts right around the kickstarter, it wont return on its own to the resting poistion. It spins the motor over fine, and i can return it to the resting position and it stays, it just doesnt return on its own. When I kick the motor, or "kick it" by hand, it just stays in the down position.

The last time I pulled the whole side apart, removed, inspected and re-installed, I didn't find anything out of place. It feels perfect right up until I snug the bolts down for the cover.

I have tried a little oil on the o-ring, made sure that the new seal was seated fully, installed with and without washers for the kickstarter, anything I could think of, and nothing has made much of a difference.

I just rebuilt the engine, and it fires up and runs great, no weird noises from that area or anywhere else for that matter.

It has enough tension to return normally, until the bolts are tightened.

I tried to spin it around again and it deformed the spring and the cover wouldnt fit anymore.

maybe you have other issues but after checking the parts pic if all looks well try getting some 050/060 gasket paper trace out your gasket snip it and then give it a go?

I have come across a few cr250 motors that where sensitive to gasket thicknes

Yeah I coat the entire trans with oil before assembling. I tried some oil just to be certain and it made no change. It works perfect right up until the side case is tightened. If I crack the 3 or 4 bolts around it with the rest of the case snug, it works fine.

maybe you have other issues but after checking the parts pic if all looks well try getting some 050/060 gasket paper trace out your gasket snip it and then give it a go?

I have come across a few cr250 motors that where sensitive to gasket thicknes

gasket paper is cheap at the auto parts store

I got a OEM ktm gasket on the way just to be sure it is the correct one. I'm lazy and suck at cutting new gaskets haha

Will update when I get some time to try it.

• Like 1

I got a OEM ktm gasket on the way just to be sure it is the correct one. I'm lazy and suck at cutting new gaskets haha

Will update when I get some time to try it.

Either its too little clearance or wrong spring tension.

My Suzuki RGV250 was a POS to get tensioned correctly, the spring would slip each time I put the case cover on.

Pulled the covers off again and re-installed the kickstart assembly. New oem ktm gasket. Greased and lubed components on assembly. Tensioned the spring per the manual, it was tough to get right, but I got it.

Put it all back in aaand...still won't return on it's own. If I loosen the three bolts around the kickstart it works fine.

I have tried a little oil on the o-ring,

What o ring are you talking about?  Water pump? There is no o ring up around the kick start.

I meant on the seal around kickstart shaft. Greased the shaft where it sits in the case and lube the seal with some oil. No change

I meant on the seal around kickstart shaft. Greased the shaft where it sits in the case and lube the seal with some oil. No change

Have you taken a look at the exploded parts view and made sure you've got it assembled correctly?sounds like something is off, maybe an extra washer in there or something.
  • Like 1

Yea I did that this time. I had removed a small washer to see if it would help. So put it back in so it was all coorect per the manual

• Like 1

Yea I did that this time. I had removed a small washer to see if it would help. So put it back in so it was all coorect per the manual

I did mine yesterday and can't think of what you could be doing wrong, it's pretty straight forward.