Sign in to follow this  

In need of some tips

Hey Guys,

I am in need of some tips on how to go about choosing a bike and dealer.   I have started the process to look for a Bike, but so far I have been feeling a bit dissapointed when dealing with the local dealers in town.

90% of my riding will be in the woods and off road.  I am a newbie kind of rider, so tricks and high speed / challenging stunts, won't necessarily be part of my DNA.   I am after enjoyment, but want to enjoy the right bike.  

With that said I have my heart on a Husquvara FE250.  This is my dream bike, I like the 2015 look the best and was shopping around for a over-stock or left over one from 2015 to save a bit of coin.  When calling around for pricing, I have been dissapointed in 2 areas: the advertised price and the out the door price, and 2nd, the lack of interest when dealing with the local dealers.

One dealer advertised a 250 (2015) for $7999.00, but when I asked what the bottom line is , they quoted $9500.00 (we only have a 5% tax here, so the rest is dealer prep etc.)   when I inquired about a 2016, the same bike goes to 11K, more than I would like to spend.  I also want to get a kick start on it, so the price will be higher,   Another dealer I called quoted me 11,200 with the kick start installed, but will have to order them.   The 2015 one, is their last one and it was sort of a "Take it or leave it" kind of feeling.  When I called, I also asked for a quote on the same bike with the kick start, but they never returned my call., so kinda dissapointed.

On another dealers website, they are selling a 2014 TC 250, but its MX, and has 50 hours on it (with a top and bottom end rebuild) for $6300 (don't know what the out the door price will be) as another option, but I am not sure if I will be happy with a MX bike or can get the Enduro package done for a reasonable price?

My other option is a dealer is advertising a 2015 Kawasaki Kx250 for $7300, OTD, final all in price, this is more in my budget, but again, can I make some adjustments / mods to the Kawi to make it a Enduro Bike that I will be happy with?   I plan to shop around more, but so far kinda dissapointed at what my early inquiries are leading me to.

What can you guys suggest for me? how should I handle the dealer, what else should I look at?  I have about 8K I can spend in cash, so not looking to finance.

any info will be sweet! Thanks!

Edited by soupysocks

The used is a great option and one I am considering!

That Husky in Kamloops is so sweet, but logistically too far for me to get! :(

Aren't you under 30ft of snow right now?

Shipping could be cheap...

Edited by Monk

Aren't you under 30ft of snow right now?

Shipping could be cheap...

I can always call and ask, but 8K is my max!

I am moving down to Edmonton on a 4 month job transfer, so I was looking in the General Alberta area!  and we only have 15 feet of snow right now lol

I can always call and ask, but 8K is my max!

I am moving down to Edmonton on a 4 month job transfer, so I was looking in the General Alberta area! and we only have 15 feet of snow right now lol

Look at the second ad I posted...

I would look around for a ktm 250xcf-w if I were you. Idk if you're set on the styling of the bike or the tradition but if you were considering a kawi too, you obviously weren't locked on it. I would highly recommend you get a set up enduro bike or if you're buying used, an enduro bike or mx set up to an enduro (because otherwise you're gonna have to dump in $800+ into it and it will still have an mx transmission no matter what. The reason I recommend the ktm is because it is the exact same bike as the husqvarna, (ktm actually owns husqvarna) but has a kickstarter, $100 cheaper, no linkage (5 pounds lighter) and aluminum subframe rather than plastic. I would search around if I were you for other dealers because many dealers don't tack on so many fees. If you're buying used, I would look for a 2014-2015 model but look for wear signs (rather than after market mods) like foot pegs, clutch cover wear and look for a bike owned by a slower rider that isn't as hard on bikes. Lastly, like monk was saying I would recommend a 350f over a 250f. I don't know exactly what you're looking for but from personally experience (I've ridden both) and the 350 is a much better trail bike as it can be lugged more, has more torque and a much more trail friendly powerband, where the 250f has a racier powerband more suitable for an mx track (less torque more top end power)