Sign in to follow this  

DRZ Aussie 400E

Sorry, the title should have been "DRZ Aussie 400E major backfire problem" so I have made a new thread with the correct title

Hi all,

I am having a problem with my Z, I have had a browse on the forum and have tried a few things with no luck. Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

I have recently bought a 2006 Aussie E. Pretty much stock as far as I can tell, but with a full yosh. I have also just added an acerbis tank, some frame savers, guards etc. Pic included. Prior to this it has been running great, but the odd splutter when cold.

I was riding around in the bush, not going hard but there was a lot of little trees on the track and I was jumping over them. I ended up between a few fallen trees that I decided I couldn't get over, so with the bike still running in neutral  lent it over and pivoted it around on the stand to go back the way I came.

When I went to accelerate and take off it backfired and died and that is how it has been ever since. It idles ok, but if I add throttle it does these huge back fires, like massive fiery back fires, it also mis fires and dies. It doesn't get enough power even to crawl, at the time I was at the top of a big hill and had to coast the whole way down to get recovered in a trailer.

Since that I have replaced the plug, pulled the carby, cleaned it out, blew out all the jets with air (I figured I had just blocked a jet with some crap), the carby seems to work ok, checked the vacuumed hose from the ce for leaks. I have tried it with the air filter out. Nothing seems to make any difference.

Have I missed anything? What else could it possibly be?

Its making me sad because I was loving this bike and I just want to ride it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Keith.

20160109_123213 (1).jpg

20160109_123225 (1).jpg

Edited by KeithyP

Weird.

Wonder if your float has got stuck when laying it over,, stuffing up the mixture,, 

or if the needle has popped out of the main jet?

does the 'choke' make a difference?

Hi Muzz

The float works fine now, needle is where it should be. Choke would kill it instantly.

So if the choke kills it, that could mean that its either running way too rich for some reason,, or the spark isnt igniting the mixture properly ?

usually choke would turn it into a blubbery mess, not snuff it out completely?

But it happened exactly when you turned around?

Only elec gremlin I had a 8years of DRZ was it would die completely at full left steering occasionally.

Was pinching a wire in the steering stop. mght be worth a look.

Thanks Muzz,

Yup, odd. I have tried yanking on wires to see if anything changes but nothing noticeable. I'm going to test stator and hope that's it.

Cheers