02-03 pricing advice and build

hello Thumpertalkers! now i haven't fully introduced myself but ill keep that part simple for now. you can call me by my user name  even though its lacking creativity at the moment. ill post a formal introduction soon maybe tonight or tomorrow.

this is just for information, advice and/or what you would pay for something like this! this is not an ad or LISTING at the moment!

so here we go.  i have a 02/03 cr 85r with the 32in seat height, im going to replace the top end before selling and check the bottom end just to be sure everything is ok down there to. anyways i was going to rebuild anyways but now i have too take it apart since i blew the piston ring :ride: 

some info: second owner, rarely but did change fluids 2-4 times a year (mostly every change of season since i was akid). constantly changed spark plugs not because i had to, and it was ridden hard every week. theres aot more  info   just ask

it has

pro tapper handle bar

unbreakable levers for clutch/front brake ace? avs? idk...

fmf header

and used down aftermarket brakes/tires

i welcome you to suggestions

what i plan to do before selling is. as follows

complete top end rebuild with oem or better parts kit (tip wanted)

new tires

chain (have it)

brakes

possible replace clutch , doubt it though. (tip wanted)

-maybe muffler and header if i find agood deal getting into money pit territory now! ?

plastics

and some helpful items for new owners

i want to make this bike as safe and fun for the future buyer by replacing needed things for best profits and safety

so with all of the above stated what would you pay for this? if i just do the top end ill only ask around $900 no less than 700, as is 550 maybe 600.

with all improvements listed and then some $1500+ firm does this sound fair to you? please reply im really interested in what you guys think about this future sell/build...

thank you for reading and posting.

$800. max after your full rebuild, but by the sounds of it the new owner would have to do a complete rebuild of the entire bike anyways.

sounds like you mainly abused it and did little maintenance, how often did you clean or change the air filter?

have you ever greased any of the linkage or steer bearings?

tires chain and breaks are consumables and don't really increase the price of the bike, same with new plastics.

unless the expansion chamber is dented up there is no reason to change it.

not sure why you change the spark plug so often and wont change the oil.

$800. max after your full rebuild, but by the sounds of it the new owner would have to do a complete rebuild of the entire bike anyways.

sounds like you mainly abused it and did little maintenance, how often did you clean or change the air filter?

have you ever greased any of the linkage or steer bearings?

tires chain and breaks are consumables and don't really increase the price of the bike, same with new plastics.

unless the expansion chamber is dented up there is no reason to change it.

not sure why you change the spark plug so often and wont change the oil.

hifive buddy

i had a feeling someone was going to say that.

your right i did abuse it and the air filter was checked constantly when dirty cleaned with dawn and water and sprayed after drying i change it after i notice damage never even came close to rotting. (spark plugs were from the previous owner had a full bag of unopened plugs for some reason right size too) he claimed it fouled fast but i fixed that quickly

this was owned by a child and some children lack experience. truly i thought thats all it needed for everything i only used the 'best' oils. its not rotted, just allitle abused lost that new well kept bike look though. changed the rear end after a bad trail accident hardly damaged though. i did stuff like that if i saw signs of damage i fixed it fast.

if i had the time to do a complete rebuild i would but honestly i just want it gone. itll take up to much time and money. . some people change pistons like they do there underwear sure its nice to have the money for all of that but this aint a big priority in my life.

no regular greasing alot more to look into before selling more en site please bearings, forks,  everything i must check out would be nice

As Excitable mentionned, your bike sounds rather neglected

If you start tearing into it now to 'make it reliable, safe and fun' for the future owner,

you'll likey find many more issues you hadn't figured needed attention before:

-frayed throttle & clutch cables

-worn clutch (notched clutch basket?)

-seized or rusted chassis, linkage, suspension, wheel bearings

-worn suspension components, bushings, fluids, nitrogen charge

-questionable bottom end (rod play, crank seals?)

add to that the regular wear items: tires, sprockets, chain and slider-roller-guide, brake pads etc.

plus the cosmetic items you seem to want to replace: plastics, dented pipe etc.

the cost will add up very quickly.

Potential buyers shopping for 10+ year old minibike are budget limited,

they aren't going to spend a ton on a perhaps refurbished 2002-03.

They would likely spend less initialy and gradualy invest in fixing/improving things when funds allow.

so you will quite probably never recuperate the added investment in new parts if sold at market value

or perhaps make it less attractive to buy since your asking price will be to high (for a still 13 year old bike).

Just get the bike running and rideable with minimal parts investment, (a piston and ring if the cylinder is still serviceable)

IMO just sell it 'as-is' for as much as you can rather than doing any major refurbishing to it.

Edited by mlatour

its not that its "unsafe" deathtrap ill just feel better about building it to what i think is respectable . and yes ill look at most of wear and tear mentioned. nice thing about this bike i never had a problem starting it starts the first kick maybe needed some help in the snow but its a real hardy bike if you ask me. overal the budget type is the group i want to target not the real cheap folk but within reason, like i said cosmetic wear and tear items top end of coarse will get repaired for sure. and with that ill accept no less than 700 but now its looking i gotta lower my high price to my low price this is coughing dims and pennies not a huge problem. like i said as long as there is still some return ill be glad. still keep the positive facts tips and,,, criticism  rolling in goodnight folks

To quote your initial post:  "this is just for information,advice and/or what you would pay for something like this!"

Perhaps not what you wanted to hear, but certainly honest opinions worth taking into consideration.

Edited by mlatour