Sign in to follow this  

Parts for piece of mind (07 yz250f)

Been debatin what all I want to do with my winter off-season maintenance besides the normal greasing...and curious what you guys do. Gonna do a timing chain which i already ordered...do those pretty routine.

First of all, the ole 07 yz250f has never had a crank by me in about 67hrs on the hour meter....no idea what it had before me besides spray painted on numbers...so i doubt it had a crank lol. Was debatin if a crank for the sake of doing it and the bearings was worth doing without a "reason" to do it?

Also, what kind of hours you guys get out of rings. I did a cylinder works 269 kit a lil while back when I did all new OEM valves. It is at about 40hrs now and thought maybe I should at least do rings/inspect? Not an A racer by any means, but do ride trail fairly aggressively and some mx.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

IMO, given your bike's use and if you have been consistent with oil changes, you have no concern for crankshaft replacement.  When you do the timing chain, just take a really good look for wear on the crankshaft's cam chain drive sprocket.  If that looks good, button it back up and ride it another 167 hours.  You are probably looking for a problem where there is none. 

Just curious, why did you replace the valves at such an early time?

IMO, given your bike's use and if you have been consistent with oil changes, you have no concern for crankshaft replament.  When you do the timing chain, just take a really good look for wear on the crankshaft's cam chain drive sprocket.  If that looks good, button it back up and ride it another 167 hours.  You are probably looking for a problem where there is none. 

Just curious, why did you replace the valves at such an early time?

I bought the bike from a guy, he didnt really know much and was at least the 2nd owner but I dont think he had it too long. Well I checked my valves after maybe 10-12hrs of owning it and the middle intake was zero'd and the other two were a lil tight (exhausts were fine). I mean, I have only put 75ish hours on it total. Guess I wondered if a previous owner neglected it enough to mess up valves that maybe he sucked at changing oil too haha. Not really looking for a problem, trying to avoid it becoming one at a real bad time haha. As for me, I change air filters a lot...unless its real wet out and it knocks the dust down. Oil every few hours filter every other.

Probably just throw a set of rings in when I do the timing chain and just check stuff out.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

Seems like your bike has quite a bit more than 67 hours on it, beings that you bought it with a zero'd valve.  Yamaha valves last a long time, so your bike probably has a bunch of time on it.

That said, if you replace the crankshaft, you are not throwing away a perfectly good one.

In light of your bike's probable runtime hours I'd suggest a different battle plan.  Not sure if this fits your budget, but maybe instead of putting money in your 07, I'd suggest to shop for a 2012 or 2013.  The 07 is a great bike (I had one for four years and loved it), but the 12-13 is just an all-around better machine from several aspects.  If you add up your costs to perk up the 07, you might be in striking distance of bringing home a low hours 12-13.  

Yea, well...I did say that I put 67hrs on it since my hour meter. Never really assumed or said it had only 67hrs on it lmao. Besides....30 horribly maintained hours riding in a lot of sand and dust with absolute pathetic oil and air filter oiling/changing could probably = 100hrs with good maintenance far as valve wear.

Anyhow, thanks. And yea ive thought bout going to a newer bike. However, if I was going to do it and this is already sort of a possible plan is I would wait out 1 more year on 14 and 15s and just get FI next winter when someone needs money. Otherwise, I am going to maybe switch to an approx. 07 YZ250 2 stroke if I like the one my buddy just got (soon as we can ride I'll find out) lol.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF