Sign in to follow this  

ttr250 can it be done?! california compliant,

hello im back and more interested in giving/getting feed back more then last time that is. lets make this fun!

ok people i know its really difficult for law abiding citizen to convert even the most friendly dirtbikes to street legal in ca do to what i believe is the environmentalist movement in Sacramento, dmv heard them and agreed without a fight. 

now what if we can make them happy by finding ways to lessen the emissions to be within epa/CARB standards and i think thats what most people forget to fix. i believe if we make vast improvement to our filthy dirtbike engines 🤣  we can get plates much easier without a fight. this is no laughing matter im tired of this crap. and i want to find  the perfect  way to get around this more then just adding dot tire and some lights the way it should be. it will be  challenging to create a fool proof way to get plates without the risk of loosing them later on here in ca i doubt it is even possible. and it maybe to much for me to tackle alone.

what i believe we need to do here in california is fix this law or atleast make it easier for us to get plates no more of this bs in ca. the problem is that we are trying to make them happy by adding saftey features like baja kits and such whits is right because it is for safety but they need to return the favor.

im planning on doing alot of research on this and finding new ways to improve emissions on my ttr250 im using this motorcycle aa template since i already have it and soon within several months i will take it in  smog tested insured and install upgrades and  ill try my luck and get it checked out by dmv.

im not kidding about this build this is going to be fun and probable more trouble then i may be aware of. my first goal is research for details of laws, emissions, and other helpfull tips, second is reading recent successful stories, third get my early-mid 2000's TTR250 smogged, then finally the hard part, parts to make this happen. im not promising anything and im not going for power right off the bat but the power will come! :foul:

this will be a long project and its mostly just for kicks and giggles to see if they will give me the plate after all of this hard work ill put into this build but who knows maybe that red x on my pink will prevent me from getting the plate if there even is one, havent seen the pink in over 5 years...

so really since this will take awhile to build as i have another project im working on already this would be a great time to debate or whatever have some fun with this since im very very bored

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:signature:

uugggghhhh forget this just get a ktm... 

You should probably do some homework on what they use to determine compliance. I think it is the VIN, and, if so, you won't ever be able to make your bike compliant.

You should probably do some homework on what they use to determine compliance. I think it is the VIN, and, if so, you won't ever be able to make your bike compliant.

yeah they do go by the vin. and since most companies never added the emission sticker declaring this bike passes CARB standards (even if it would have passed) itll be very hard  to even get it looked at by the dmv/chp but what im hoping to figure out is if i do pass all emissions for highway use they should look the other way since itll be carb compliant. but who knows. im pretty sure ktm/husqvarna and christini do  pass the emissions and have the carb sticker for some of there 4stroke lines even if the bike doesnt come with the dual sport package... i hope this isnt a false rumor, but i do believe im right about that statement.

and i do enjoy ktm and husqvarna lines of dualsports most offroad capable street legal bikes you will ever get right out of the box here in ca. also some other companies that do well with 50 state is christini and beta any others im forgetting?

my vin has a 3 in the 8th spot i doubt theyll consider plating even if it passes smog still looking for parts at the moment to help, im trying at least. other wise ill sell it out of state if i put all of this time into it to make it legal. ill call dmv tomorrow

correction my vin does not have a 3 in the 8th section. new updates talked to carb, yamaha and my local dealership. found out that if the bike wasnt made to be street legal it cant be modified to "become" street legal but  you can still get the approval from a dealership and then the chp after that , but my bike does of course have the emission sticker stating it is ok for off highway use.

The emmisions testing cost is part of the reason more bikes are not "street legal". If a manufacturer was to make more legal bikes they would have to have them tested and certified. The costs are outragous for the return on dollars that bike sales would bring.

I've got a plated 2006 TT-R 250 that i'm considering selling. It's not advertised for sale and i have not determined an asking price. it was registered as a street bike when i bought it new and I installed the Baja Designs kit. The bike's in excellent condition. I'm located in the bay area if you're interested. Hope it's okay that I post this here, I may post in the classified section later on.  

In California, the DMV process is inconsistent from what I have heard, but my experience with them is amazingly simple. On multiple dirt bikes in the last few months, including red sticker 2 strokes, I passed inspection with just a light kit and GPS for the speedo/odometer.  I have never been asked to turn on the bike or have its emissions or pipes or tires checked.  DMV does check for matching VIN and engine numbers to the title.  I was advised by online forums to put on DOT tires and use special stickers on the pipe and bodywork, but DMV never checked any of that.  I bet I can plate anything on two wheels with a motor now, although I had always believed it was a difficult process.  To say this cannot be done is complete BS.  I have had success at multiple DMV offices in the LA area.

• Like 1