Sign in to follow this  

Types of Clear Coat

I'm restoring my 1997 Honda XR 600 and am currently polishing up all the aluminium on the bike.

I've powder coated the frame gloss and the other parts Matt and think I'd be up for a more Matt/satin finish on the aluminium.

Can you get clear coat in different finishes, and are there any that people would recommend in the UK?

Thanks

Clear anodizing is the king of clear coatings.  Not cheap though to get small parts done.  Since I DO have a budget for my projects, I use a clear lacquer in a rattle can.  Works for me

Clear anodizing is the king of clear coatings.  Not cheap though to get small parts done.  Since I DO have a budget for my projects, I use a clear lacquer in a rattle can.  Works for me

Is there any difference between the lacquer or is it generally the same finish? 

I guess if i want a matt finish i should finely sand the lacquer back?

I think the lacquer is a little glossier.  If you wanted more of a matte finish, don't initially polish it so highly.  If it has some texture, any kind of spray will adhere better anyway.

BTW- Sometimes with putting a clear lacquer on a COLD part, you can get a bubbly or foamy look.  A metal finisher once told me that if you warm up the part, like with a hair dryer if it's a small part, it prevents that.  I've had limited success doing that.

Edited by motoxvet

I think the lacquer is a little glossier.  If you wanted more of a matte finish, don't initially polish it so highly.  If it has some texture, any kind of spray will adhere better anyway.

BTW- Sometimes with putting a clear lacquer on a COLD part, you can get a bubbly or foamy look.  A metal finisher once told me that if you warm up the part, like with a hair dryer if it's a small part, it prevents that.  I've had limited success doing that.

I'll definitely bear that in mind, thanks.

Other paints provide a more durable finish than lacquer but not the gloss. The urethanes are prob the most durable finishes, available in rattle can and brush, gloss, semi gloss, and satin.

I've used urethane clear as a top coat on painted and unpainted surfaces.  

VHT has some with a variety of temp ratings for wheels, and calipers.

Varathane and others have urethane clears in rattle cans, some with UV inhibitors for outdoor use.

Might start with a conversion coat?  you spray it on let it work then wash it off, then paint.    https://www.pioneermetal.com/conversion-coatings-and-pretreatment/aluminum-conversion-coating. I try to have the paint at the same temp as the metal, often in the same room bare metal can be colder by almost 15deg. Not sure how critical but something a body man told me years ago.