450FX fork and shock valving?

I guess nobody has pulled one apart yet.....

I did find a thread with stock stacks from the 2015 YZ250FX.  I'm thinking maybe I'll just copy these into my 450F and see how it works.

In looking at those stacks, a lot of the shims are .11 and most of the ones in my current set up at .10.  I'm going to be buying more shims anyway, but what will be the impact if I re-use the .10's instead of replacing all with .11's??  I checked the float calculation, and using .10's it should be .3 float instead of .23 with the .11's....if my math is right.

Trying to pull together my shim shopping list now, and I'd like to re-use as much as possible since I have shims that are close.

Probably half of the time I end up running the cube rule in the Google taskbar to make sure my conversion factors are correct, because I don't trust myself to remember all of them...

Yes 6id for BV and R, 8id for MV, 12id for shock main piston, 6id for Cadj.

Edited by GHILL28

Thickness of kyb shims:

0.11 is 50% stiffer than 0.10 so be aware it makes a big difference

Beam bending is pretty much always thickness cubed.

.11^3/.10^3 = 1.33

I've seen kyb shims reported as 0.11, 0.114, 0.115 and 0.12 mm thickness.

That makes a big difference in terms of shim stiffness:

kyb-thickness.png

Dial calipers can easily measure the difference in production shims with thicknesses of 0.1, 0.15 or 0.2 mm.

No problem.

But, trying to figure out the difference between 0.114 and 0.115 mm you are trying to measure stuff down to 0.000,04th of an inch.

To get that level of accuracy you have to record room temperature to get repeatable measurements (LOL).

BTW: I think the thickness of kyb shims is 0.114 mm. That works out a Sandvik shim thickness of 0.005 inch, I like even numbers.

• Like 1

The difference between .110 and .115 is 5 microns, which is .0002", or two tenths.  Still better have one good micrometer handy for that one and make sure everything is CLEAN.

So I've looked at KYB and Showa BV stacks and wondered why KYB's only have evens in the taper and Showa's have every single increment.  The KYB's are .114 (or .11, or whatever), and Showa's are .10.  Do the extras in the taper make it approximately 50% stiffer the same as the thicker shims do and they end up being really similar?