Sign in to follow this  

engine work

Hello

I'm new the fourm, i'm rebuilding a 2001 suzuki rm 250 and i'm currently redoing the motor, it might be awhile till im able to install it into the bike.im wondering what is a good way of keeping it from rusting or ceasing untill i can get the bike going again?

For seasonal storage, I use Sta-bil fogging spray and that should work for you for the time it will be stored.  Give it a GOOD spray and turn the motor over several times.  Is there no way you could store it in a heated area?  My winters are probably similar to yours and I do have trouble with frost and/or moisture forming on ANY metal stored in unheated areas.  For longer storage than just one winter, I DO worry about rust forming on things like main bearings and crank halves but you can't really ASSURE that any spray will get into the bottom end to prevent it with the cylinder on.  Good luck!

• Like 1

I just put the motors in my game room during rebuilds. I can watch tv while I work and it's climate controlled so I don't have to worry about rust.

At the moment the motor is in my basement, bottom end just rebuilt with a light oil coating on things,there are no other fluids in the motor at the time being.im hoping to get the motor in the frame at the start of the season.

• Like 1

when I go to assemble my two stroke motor,or add a new motor part should i coat the part will a little bit of bike specific motor oil?

when I go to assemble my two stroke motor,or add a new motor part should i coat the part will a little bit of bike specific motor oil?

I would for the tranny, I would use 2 stroke for the crank bearings.