Sign in to follow this  

Difference between a V2 and VT2 master link

I went to my local Yamaha dealer to pick up 2 master links...Only one of them fit though. The rollers on the other one were too thick to fit through the chain...

This isn't the first time that this happened to me. There was one other time where I bought a master link, and the rollers were just SLIGHTLY too fat, such that the master link fit in there, but it was so tight that it didn't "roll" properly and caused a small kink in the chain in that area (needless to say, I didn't use that master link)...

But with that being said, how do I make sure that I'm ordering the proper master links for my chain. I found out that simply "520 O-ring" isn't enough. Someone then told me to look at the writing on the side of my chain, and order based on that.

The writing on my chain says DID 520V2.

However, when looking online all I'm able to find is DID 520VT2 or other variations of numbers and letters with X's and M's in it, but I'm unable to find the exact one that is written on my chain.

Haha, such a minute detail, yet so complicated!!

Does anyone know about this stuff?

Out of interest, why were you getting 2 new master links?

Normally I replace my sprockets and chain at the same time and get a spare master link for the chain at the same time.

Then yes it got complicated

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/chains-and-master-links

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/958/24504/DID-520-VT2-Narrow-Enduro-Racing-X-Ring-Chain

I'm sure some here can un-complicate  this

Edited by filterx

vt2 is narrower so the pins will be shorter.  Go to DID web page and look at the chart, measure your chain if in doubt.  If it's an oem chain maybe check a parts fiche.

I know it's pita. Chains are all different.

• Like 1

Out of interest, why were you getting 2 new master links?

I just wanted to have 2 spare for the hell of it. My chain got all mangled up the other day when I got stuck in this rocky ditch, and I needed to go out and buy a new master link...I wanted to get a spare while I was at it in case this happened again. I figured I'd just grab 2 spares while I was at it.

My bike is still pretty new, so I won't need to change sprockets and chain for a while.

And I actually ended up just ordering 2 off eBay for $9 total. If they don't fit, no worries. I just used the "compatible with my bike" feature on eBay...so we shall see.

Ahh right  - I knew that you lost the clip from your other post's - sorry I missed your user name in this topic.

Did you check to make sure the chain didn't cause any damage to the engine case around the front sprocket or on the swing arm?

Ahh right  - I knew that you lost the clip from your other post's - sorry I missed your user name in this topic.

Did you check to make sure the chain didn't cause any damage to the engine case around the front sprocket or on the swing arm?

Ya a little piece of plastic broke off around the chain guard area. I don't believe it's anything serious. The circled area is what broke off on my bike.

Countershaft broken piece.PNG

I'm gonna recheck my chain tension, and just be more careful next time I get stuck in a ditch not to try and throttle my way out of it. Hard to explain exactly what happened, but lesson learned!